Elm burr table

TonyIOM

Hi

I finished my first elm burr table yesterday. Its about 5' long and 18" high.

I learnt a few important lessons along the way - very frustrating at times but I'm pleased with the end results. The shelf is made from 1" black walnut dowels and took about a day to get right, using a hand drill and aligning the holes without a pillar drill is a painful process!

I wanted to use Osmo oil but the customer wanted a glossy varnish finish so he wins :)

Table #2 will be much simpler.

Cheers

DSCF0548.jpg.d6ebba6a2651db2443007d1a432b050f.jpg

DSCF0574.jpg.e0de64c52f80660473c11add31b4433b.jpg

DSCF0571.jpg.ef405d7a8b57a2c90b4b28b4779cd684.jpg

Hi, I used use dry 1" (25.4mm) wide oak dowels, 3 in each leg. I hand drilled the holes using a 27mm forstner bit which gives you some tolerance but still allows a secure fixing.

I made the centre one longer into the leg and tight, glued with epoxy. The outer 2 dowels have more play in their leg sockets to allow for seasonal movement, fixed with a strong flexible sealant. I figured the centre of the board won't move as much as the edges.

I figured the magazine shelf adds significant rigidity to the structure so there is no other support used.

I found a lot of articles mention the need to allow for woodmovement but few show how to do this in an elegant manner without resorting to figure of eight or bent metal clips.

Hi, I used use dry 1" (25.4mm) wide oak dowels, 3 in each leg. I hand drilled the holes using a 27mm forstner bit which gives you some tolerance but still allows a secure fixing.

I made the centre one longer into the leg and tight, glued with epoxy. The outer 2 dowels have more play in their leg sockets to allow for seasonal movement, fixed with a strong flexible sealant. I figured the centre of the board won't move as much as the edges.

I figured the magazine shelf adds significant rigidity to the structure so there is no other support used.

I found a lot of articles mention the need to allow for woodmovement but few show how to do this in an elegant manner without resorting to figure of eight or bent metal clips.

That's brilliant thank you, I hadn't considered allowing for movement. I will be pegging a piece of oak in a similar fashion to your magazine rack but it will serve no other purpose than to add support

Sent from my SM-G920F using Arbtalk mobile app