Tackling large windblown stumps in tight gardens..

Suffolk-Matt

Hi all,

Looking for some advice/tips as how you guys deal with large stumps from windblown trees?

Had a bit of a ballache with one recently with a Euc stump/rootball which stood approx 5ft high when on its side, multi-stemmed and filled with sand/dirt, no access for a digger or grinder. Took us 2 days sectioning off small pieces and carting them round to the front of the house, cleaning each section to prolong chain life.

I thought to myself i would ask on here before tackling the next one, and just been round to quote yet another windblown euc ( forth one in 1 1/2 months).

So yet again its multi stemmed, twisted as it fell 3/4 of the rootplate above ground. 2ft side access ( yes 2 foot) so no access for a digger or grinder.

The tree although large, we can clear in a day easy, just dont want to be spending days on removing the stump.

So solutions? how do you guys deal with these situations?

I did think about taking my jetwasher to attempt to clean it better before sectioning it up.

Crane it over the house = Expensive (large house so would need very long boom)

As said access is very tight so its got be sectioned up just to get it curbside.

Thoughts?

Hi all,

Looking for some advice/tips as how you guys deal with large stumps from windblown trees?

Had a bit of a ballache with one recently with a Euc stump/rootball which stood approx 5ft high when on its side, multi-stemmed and filled with sand/dirt, no access for a digger or grinder. Took us 2 days sectioning off small pieces and carting them round to the front of the house, cleaning each section to prolong chain life.

I thought to myself i would ask on here before tackling the next one, and just been round to quote yet another windblown euc ( forth one in 1 1/2 months).

So yet again its multi stemmed, twisted as it fell 3/4 of the rootplate above ground. 2ft side access ( yes 2 foot) so no access for a digger or grinder.

The tree although large, we can clear in a day easy, just dont want to be spending days on removing the stump.

So solutions? how do you guys deal with these situations?

I did think about taking my jetwasher to attempt to clean it better before sectioning it up.

Crane it over the house = Expensive (large house so would need very long boom)

As said access is very tight so its got be sectioned up just to get it curbside.

Thoughts?

We had a big inaccessible oak stump like this, all we did was stick a turfer on it and tear it out. Then put a loony on it to bust it down with a saw, sledge hammer and wedges , it still only took him a day which is not that bad.

Bob

Has anyone tried a carbide chain on stuff like this?

I bought one last summer for my little saw as I do a fair bit of building stuff at festivals mostly from slabwood and Paslode nails. I was hoping it would be able to go through the occasional nail. Fecking useless! as soon as it just tickled the side of a nail all the cutters snapped off. The dealer did say though that they were more for muddy timber than nails.

is,nt there someone who could copy the method how they cut up ships subs on the seabed to recover them i think its a chain idea but on a massive scale bigger to cut through anything etc or even i hydraulic ram achored with chain forced through like a log splitter ?????? as the porta powers go upto 10.000 psi so dont think any tree stump would survive that force or maybe a rig with a bottle jack to burst it open with chains and a wedge

Edited by predator

Has anyone tried a carbide chain on stuff like this?

I bought one last summer for my little saw as I do a fair bit of building stuff at festivals mostly from slabwood and Paslode nails. I was hoping it would be able to go through the occasional nail. Fecking useless! as soon as it just tickled the side of a nail all the cutters snapped off. The dealer did say though that they were more for muddy timber than nails.

I did have on old saw of mine but it seems they cant be sharpened with a normal file, my local shop wanted about £25 to sharpen due to needing a diamond cutting stone for the job.

Might look down this root again though

Just pass job on to stump grinding guy that's what I would do, as long as he has a Alpine magnum he will get it.

Give stump busters a ring they should be able to help.

Yeah might send them some pics and get a price, did think they did mainly 'run of th mill' type grinds but no harm in trying.

Yep the last big stump like this ended up with just us mad at it with saw's wedges and axes, was a hell of a lump mind.

There is always the zero or hero option:evil:

Drill a small hole in the stump, fill with black powder and compact, add a fuse and cover with tarps and pallets.

Light fuse and duck, have the van running and the door open in case it doesn't go to plan. :vroam:

Joking aside the air spade or similar will clean all the crud off which makes dissecting it lot easier, it makes a mess but pressure washing it off is a slower but cleaner option if you have the drainage