All the gears, no idea....

ballibeg

Young delivery driver just overshot neighbour's hard standing and got stuck in the soft in his big merc van. Neighbour's got a 2012 Landrover 130. Could they pull it out? Nope. They did tear up the drive trying though. After two hours van driver popped around to me. He was on his way 5 minutes later.

Landover in novice hands- 0

Ford 4000- 1

I'm not sure what they were doing wrong. Surely you'd stick a Landover in low and slowly ease it along? It wasn't badly stuck.

Dave

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember couple getting stuck on forest road and local garage trying to pull them out, we arrived with tractor by chance and couldn't understand why the recovery truck couldn't pull them out. Closer look revealed car was trying to go forwards as truck was trying to pull it backwards!

God help us!

(i) 7.5 tonne lorry bogged on a grassy slope, they sent for a tow, I turned up and reversed it out, after straighting the steering lock.

(ii) Brother rescued an 18 stone muscle bound lunk off benone strand, bogged in a Suzuki XJ140, 4WD not engaged, he rescued the vehicle, not the driver btw.

(iii) EXplained how a 4 tonne tractor would not/could not pull out a tree stump, by slipping the clutch, with a tight wire rope.

BUT it easily could using 4 tonne of momuntum.

And it did.

(iv) Blondo bimbo burned the clutch out of a 5 series BMW, COS hey she was stuck in mud DOH!

I could go on.

To me these things are blindingly obvious, but apparently not all brains are wired the same/like mine.

Edited by difflock

One of the saddest things I ever saw was a Ray Mears program about some walkers exploring the outback of Australia in a Hilux, they got stuck on soft sand next to a water tank, they let the tyres down a little, but still could not get it out, he stayed with the Hilux and she (the better walker) set of hiking to get help. Three weeks later her body was found by the road side, he was still alive because of the water tank. The guy who found them got the Hilux out in 10minuets, he simple let more air out of the tyres.

One of the saddest things I ever saw was a Ray Mears program about some walkers exploring the outback of Australia in a Hilux, they got stuck on soft sand next to a water tank, they let the tyres down a little, but still could not get it out, he stayed with the Hilux and she (the better walker) set of hiking to get help. Three weeks later her body was found by the road side, he was still alive because of the water tank. The guy who found them got the Hilux out in 10minuets, he simple let more air out of the tyres.

That's shocking and very sad.

That's shocking and very sad.

It was very tragic.

What makes it worse is that because of the remote location they were heading to, there was a book in a shop at the nearest town which you signed in as you headed off and signed out on your return. If you were not back at the time expected, help was sent.

On the day they left the town the shop owner was away, his son could not find the book, so started another one, when the shop owner returned he knew nothing of the new book and continued using the original book, which of cause this couple were not logged into.

The thing is these skills are learnt gradually, or absorbed when around the need for them. If you are never around the need and don't understand basic mechanics it would be easy to become very stuck unnecessarily even if you are very intelligent. For instance trying to pump mud when it's too thick, you add water..... But to most that would make the mud/water in the wrong place a bigger problem and not be the solution.

Even though I think that sometimes I have to laugh.