Firewood frustrations

Big J

Slight rant about difficult firewood customer.

Been supplying firewood to a couple near to the yard for a couple of years now. They have an open fire and like two sizes of logs - normal sized (8-12") and large (18"). Wee logs go under, big log ontop. I explained from the outset that I wasn't a firewood supplier, but I would do what I could. They use probably 15 cube a year.

The difficulty is that I can supply smaller logs without problems (sawmill offcuts are ideal for this) but the big lumps are tricky. I've done what I can, sourcing from different places a variety of larger stock to put aside for them. Lately, despite the logs being well dried, they've started complaining a) that they aren't dry enough and b) that they aren't all hardwood. I never specified that it would be hardwood and I'm really cheap.

Today I get a call requesting Ash. That's what they want, not any of that 'Leylandii' I supplied a while back(actually 120 year old western red cedar at 15% MC). I have in the past explained that these large logs take much longer to dry and what they need (and have plenty of space for) is another store so that they can be using one whilst the other is drying. I've also explained that an open fire is a wonderful way to actually burn money. Won't listen though, and I was wondering how any of the rest of you break past the 'it must be hardwood' mindset that still dominates here?

I've been splitting a lot of Scots Pine and Poplar lately, and given how easily it processes, I'll not be touching the 'premium' species again if I can help it.

Jonathan

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel for you J

I supplied logs for 7 years and never worked so hard for so little. A wood man down the road described it as " doing the unprofitable for the ungrateful " I have never forgotten the look on his face :biggrin: I dont miss the logs one bit but probably get my wood fix from playing with the mizer and making kindling. The other saying is " familarity breeds contempt" let them get stitched up somewhere and they will be grateful when they come back.

The reason they came to me in the first place was that one of the local estates had supplied them with the large logs they liked, but they were pretty much fresh felled oak. Of all the species not to (try to) burn fresh, it has to be Oak.

I was trying to explain to them today on the phone that the reason I steer away from many hardwoods for their large logs is that I can't get them dry on an economical timescale. An 18" log at 8-10" diameter/thickness is going to take at least 2 years to fully dry in my barn whereas I can get the same sized lump of spruce/larch dry in a third the time. Normal sized logs in softwood take only about 12 weeks in summer.

I'm not worried about this particular couple really, as I know they will be back, but I'm putting more firewood to stock now for next winter and hope that this is a sign of things to come!

took down a large chestnut for a customer last week, I knew they had a burner so asked if they wanted to keep the wood, .......no thank you we've been told chestnut is not a good burning wood......nothing I could tell them would change their minds, they would rather watch me take it all away and then buy more in.

Simple answer to this type of awkward price is tell them what you have what it will cost when you can deliver take it or leave it. We sell high grade firewood at a fair price and it's dry so if they do go Elsa where they usually come back.

I've had a family member doing the processing , loading and delivering it's quite nice not to have the stupid questions from new or existing awkward clients.

I don't let the customer dictate what supply them. I tell them what I have. And how much it is, take it or leave it. If they don't buy someone else will. I have bent over backwards in the past for people and they don't appreciate it. I now look after me.

I don't let the customer dictate what supply them. I tell them what I have. And how much it is, take it or leave it. If they don't buy someone else will. I have bent over backwards in the past for people and they don't appreciate it. I now look after me.

It's a good policy, and pretty much what I've decided to do. I kept some of the boxes to one side from my kiln drying firewood experiment for them, as I knew they'd need it and I knew I'd not be able to get the large chunks dry in time. I wasn't going to charge extra for the kilning but hey ho....it'll sell to someone else I'm sure!

Like you said Steve (and I remember Tom D saying it to me once) - firewood is selling the unprofitable to the ungrateful!

had a customer said our wood was wet it was not as it had been stored in our wood shed all summer so was dry. he used to leave it out in his back yard uncovered then moan. he went to a different spplier i checked the wood he delivered that day it was wet and green. he did not come back but if he did it be double what e was charged for wood. rest of customers chuffed with wood we supply. but for what we get and time it takes to do. i sometimes think is it worth doing. but two buy two loads every 3 weeks and one all year round so its a bit extra.

very true Hodge well put :thumbup::thumbup: