starting unimog in cold.

carlos

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A good heavy duty battery to start with. (I assume engine oil and fuel filters are new for the winter season) Some mogs have the old style glow plugs and the mercedes cold start fluid unit. Does the fuel tank have "Winter" grade diesel?

The vehicle we have starts at -12C in around 6 seconds.

Does your mog have the little pump next to the gear stick??, its called a pilot start or something.

If it has you can get some stuff from merc, you put it in a little reservoir near the engine, then just give it a pump before starting and it start no problem.

And unlike "easy start" it won't knacker your engine.

Does your mog have the little pump next to the gear stick??, its called a pilot start or something.

If it has you can get some stuff from merc, you put it in a little reservoir near the engine, then just give it a pump before starting and it start no problem.

And unlike "easy start" it won't knacker your engine.

the engine should be turning before you start to give in a couple of slow pumps. (however given the placement of the key and the pump it is quite hard! :001_rolleyes:)

If yours has an om352 you will find they are harder to start in the cold because the inlet manifold routing within the head cools the air quite a lot, also normal gas oil doesn’t help matters.

You would do best to take a sample of fuel to see if waxing has started, if its still see threw then you can discount waxing.

To make starting much easer when waxing is not a problem and ONLY if you NOT using a start-pilot just lift the bonnet, use a screw driver to undo the hose clamp that connects the large rubber pipe (from air filter) to the end of the metal inlet pipe that goes around the front of the engine, hold the rubber pipe out of the way and then hold a lit blowlamp pointing towards the metal inlet pipe wile someone turns the engine over, if you don’t have a blow lamp then a electric heat gun/paint stripper ot hair dryer or a bit of lit newspaper wafted near the pipe will heat the air up promoting ignition. ;)

thanks guys i will check the fuel re waxing( my bosses mog not mine) was thinking to try and warm the air intake it used to work on my old dodge truck fine. so is easy start a no no then !!? ive never tryed it the name always sounded appealing. however i now have more interesting fish to fry because some idiot (being me) added intifreeze to and old bmw and didnt turn it over to mix it so i now have a major thawing session for tommorow hopefully no head damage.. pray mat out.

thanks carl

Buy a Magnetic Electric heading device,stick it to the Sump.Problem Solved.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Kats-1155-Watt-Magnetic-Heater/dp/B000I8TPFU]Amazon.com: Kat's 1155 200 Watt Magnetic Heater: Automotive[/ame]

Or just leave it Runing overnight,what you spend in Diesel you'll save in Time.