Holidays, time off and notice periods for PAYE employed people

Rhystree

Sorry I put this in the wrong section so cheers for the heads up Mark :thumbup:.

I'm looking for a bit of advice from employers and people who are employed in our industry. How much notice do you as a PAYE employed person have to give your employer for days off for holiday?

And as an employer how much notice do you require staff to give?

Do employers have a set period of notice or do they say try me and I will try to accommodate your holiday time off. Obviously with this unfair treatment could occur if one person has time off at short notice and not another.

What's a reasonable period of notice to ask for time off?

It would be great to get a few views on this. I'm talking about holiday time off, not going to funerals, my child's had an accident or my wife's in labour days off.

Thanks everyone

I have just come away from PAYE, but we had to give a weeks notice for a day off and two weeks if we wanted a week or more off. In a big company like the one I was in, you will always get people who tow the line and those that don't. Then it is up to management to either pull people up on it or let it slide.

It doesn't matter if one person is allowed time off at short notice (for example) and not another as long as you treat them equally fairly: that's not the same thing as treating them the same.

It's perfectly acceptable to allow Fred a day off with little notice one week because your work schedule could stand it but not to allow Bert the same the following week when the schedule couldn't bear it: they are both there primarily to work for the company.

I can't help really Rhys, but my wife employs a few people so I asked her.

They don't have a policy as such, but they do have a big holiday planner on the wall, which obviously has a year on it.

Big holidays, ie 2 weeks plus it's sort of first come first served, she can't have the whole company away at the same time, and everyone treats this pretty sensibly. After all, if you've got several months notice it should be ok.

Odd days/short breaks a couple of weeks is usually fine.

Monday hangovers '24 hr bugs' and sick calls from mothers are bad, and beatings would occur.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Chees for the replies. People who don't turn up on Monday mornings don't generally last too long. When I was employed we had to give four weeks notice to have time off unless it was for things line going to the doctors etc. is this the norn? I was always told any less notice would throw a spanner in the works with the diary and booked in jobs.

What you're touching on here is the weird and not wonderful world of HR that has more loopholes for whingers than a pair of original Stihl chainsaw boots.

Be fair and reasonable and you'll be OK. As said staff are there primarily to work for the company, not the staff members' convenience.