Joe Public - how do you think they see the Arb world?

Andy Clark

In a moment of pondering today, a thought played out through my mind........ "What is Joe Public's understanding of trees and Arboriculture?"

Like most of us on here, I come into contact with the public on a daily basis - and often, as a representative of our industry, as a lover of trees, as someone who just loves the job I do, I find myself faced with a blank stare in return, whilst I stand and prattle on about things that, to me, are second nature. Stuff I take for granted.

Why is that? We are, supposedly, a green and pleasant island nation, with a very long historic importance of trees, forestry, timber etc.

Our roads are lined with them. Our towns and city are surrounded by them. We walk our dogs in woodlands full of them. As kids (some of us) played in them. Our gardens are laden with them. But yet as a populous, Joe Public, generally, seems totally oblivious to anything tree or Arb related.

Thoughts?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbh, I thnk Arb is seen as a bit of a joke. Pouncing about, snipping little bits off trees, been everyone thinks they need hoofing great bits cut off, it's the only way to let more light in, isn't it? Then there's the farmer type group, you don't need all that fancy kit to cut bits off trees, just boiler suit, preferably John Deere, flat cap and wellies is adequate ppe. Then there's all the fuss about disposal, expensive chippers and trucks, you can just light a fire and get rid, can't you? We're seen as tree-huggers, and a hindrance, by the construction industry, who have to suffer us and our little ways to keep the planning depts happy. Not what you want to hear? :001_smile:

Very good question, I personally see most people thinking that we're either multi millionaires who earn money in our sleep or we are just gardeners with ropes. I'm definitely nearer to one end of the scale than the other. This will be a very interesting thread if it stay on track

Here Stateside, especially during Hurricane season and after storms hit the need is astronomical and the respect shown particularly for the utility companies sending crews from all over the country is really amazing.

easy-lift guy

That's heartening to hear, Ted.