Can anyone squirt waxoyl ??

FriarsGorse

After finding out the cost of having my defender "professionally" waxoyled i set aside the whole day to do it myself ... carefully and thoroughly.... afterall in this day and age when things do "exactly what it says on the tin" ... so i bought a pressured can and the pressure sprayer and the probe to get it in everywhere!! After hours of wire brushing and pressure washing I set up my waxoyl kit .. including standin it in hot water and thinning with white spirit only to find it impossible to spray... still the consistency of warm butter ... constantly clogging the sprayer.. glooping out in dollops of annoying babypoo !! Did i miss something or am i a twot or is it possible i picked a can that had been sitting on halfords shelf for too long ??? Has anyone used one of thes things succesfully ?? It says the easy way to waxoyl your car on the tin !!!!:confused1:

one sympathises!

isnt it just that the oil is cooling in a pipe or something - i guess you need to keep the whole system warm - wrap it in something to insulate it.....fear not somebody who knows better will be along....

be interested to see how this one goes - my truck is getting a little flakey.

I've tried (and failed) to spray waxoil before, and accidentally came across the following method which works brilliantly. However, it is most effective with a big compressor - otherwise you will need a little patience to let the compressor catch up with your air demand every so often.

I bought some tetra schultz (almost definitely spelt wrong but I'm sure google will help you find it) underbody sealant. This comes in a screw-on cannister container, and you buy the proprietary applicator nozzle for not a lot of money that fits to an airline. Once used (or poured into another ireceptacle for later use) refill the canister with your waxoil, turn your compressor up to maximum and away you go. This system will spray it on whether it is hot, cold, lumpy, runny - whatever! You will get through a lot of waxoil, but it will end up everywhere! The only thing to remember is that when the canister gets empty the compressor starts to suck it flat/implode it - keep it topped up (which is a bit tricky with cold, thick waxoil but you'll work it out).

Thin with White Spirit like it says on the tin, no need to use thinners just give it a very good mix and it will spray ok but the key is in the mixing. If you skimp on that it will be like Birds custard on a bad day.

I used it years ago with the waxoil sprayer, it was ok but hard work compared to the next time when I used a compressor.... its the difference between a DIY job and a pro job:thumbup1: plus you wont need to thin as much.

Good luck

ps; with that amount of thinners sprayed all over the place you may end up with a fire risk (depending where your doing it) but you wouldnt be able to start it for a while. Take care:thumbup:

Its a messy (paper overals) job which is why people charge a lot.

A bit of thinning and getting it good and hot is the key. It cools in the pipe so you have to be quick, I have used boiling water to heat it but you have to be careful cos getting scalded by hot wax isn't fun.

Does this stuff actually work?

I had a cabstar schutzed a few years ago from new and the rust just developed under the coating then flaked it off.

It works well but as with any surface treatment preparation is everything.

If iit wasn't clean and dry before the wax went on all you are doing is making a perfect environment for corrosion.:thumbdown:

Then again some steel is just born to rust.......