Ford Transit Custom?

mowingjamie

After a little looking over ideas to replace my navara king cab ive had to come to the conclusion that i just cant justify having 4x4 or running 2 vehicles. I was looking at a defender 130 and a small berlingo type van but just cant seem to make the numbers work. So im kinda liking the idea of a transit custom 125hp swb low roof, specs say it can tow 2500kg braked, i can work with that. But this would have to be on one of those new finance payments.

So looking for your advice of tyes of finance? Im not vat reistered so how does that affect me with new finance?

Any one have a transit custom? Your reviews? What are vans like at towing? Currently got a ifor lm126 with ramp etc and it weighs at least a ton so might have to swap for something a little lighter.

Cheers again for your help, really value your thoughts and hope you have a happy new year!

The Customs are all front wheel drive, thats going to make it pants at towing on slippery surfaces or uphill. My 2012 FWD Transit certainly has rubbish traction, despite traction control, which contrary to common belief is no advantage in slippery surface traction.

The Gross Train Mass is 4400kg, so thats the van, trailer and load. The van grosses at 2500 kg allowing a very generous 1900kg behind, but it will be over 3500kg so I think it will need a tacho.

Firstly the van:

I'd go Iveco Daily for towing. Can't go wrong. Rear wheel drive and a proper ladder chassis like a Land Rover Defender.

Finance:

Go for either the cheapest Hire Purchase (HP) deal you can find, or take out a bank/personal loan.

Normally the dealership will have a 'business manager' whose job it is to sell you overpriced finance packages.

AVOID 'PCP' personal contract purchase type deals or anything with a 'guaranteed final value'. These deals make low monthly payments lure you into getting stung after 3 years or so with a 'final payment' that you thought was your 'minimum future value'.

There deals also limit you to mileage restraints and penalise you for condition should you wish to 'hand it back'.

Golden rule, IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT CASH, THINK CAREFULLY..IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT ON HIRE PURCHASE OR PERSONAL LOAN, DON'T PROCEED!!!

Never take out any extras like 'gap insurance' and ALWAYS LOOK AT THE TOTAL AMOUNT PAYABLE!!

Plus ask what 'arrangement fees' or early settlement penalties apply.

Need any more help just ask. I'm not a financial advisor but have an extensive history in the motor trade and motor finance.

Just to add, if they offer you a deal, ask what the FLAT RATE (per annum) is, NOT THE APR.

Whatever they offer you, ask them to BEAT (not match) the best (credible) rate you have seen.

Then the haggling starts. Business Managers/Salesmen are paid to make money out of you. Make them think if they don't give you rock bottom, the deal's off. Sales Managers or Salesmen (dependant on a BM) never like to see a man walk out because the finance rate was extortionate. :)

• 1 year later...

I think you can lease one for around £250 a month 3 years which is not too bad as its in manufactures warranty. With EGR, DPF and Electronic injectors theres a hole load of never endind expence under the modern bonnet. All though the minus with leasing is you have to give it back in factory cosmetic condition but towing dont matter a boy with a clip board cant check clutch wear lol. Also around £10k after 3 years seems a bit steep as you can buy one for £15k & keep it for ever this is all inclusive of vat.

Personaly I think second evern beging a gamble is better. I just like the thought of having somthing thats not worth stupid money that your driving in & out of hedges, fields, dirt, tracks narrow drives. Using the cab all day to takes its wear & tear. Its nice using a vehicle you own and if you want to you can bash a gate post and show off that dent you earnt it : )