T540XP: Check your chainbrake

Fredward

Next time you are cleaning down it might be worth taking the cover off the mechanism for the chainbrake. Mine failed on me whilst in a tree, turned out that there was no retaining screw (or thread) where the one is pictured below. Consequently the U shaped part was stretched out to the point of snapping.

IMG_20150109_094834_0.jpg.7f96e163d2bc7276c245bc1e2d30e06f.jpg

IMG_20150109_094754_0.jpg.ce8108a86632bc86706af82f449a4e04.jpg

Yes it was the original. Somehow went through the factory without recieving the retaining screw as far as I can tell.. I did not take it apart so can't be 100%, but on putting it together I had one screw missing and couldn't wind a screw in as there was apparently no thread in the white plastic peice. I gave it to the dealer who sorted it out pretty quick, but I'd already paid for the new band. I could have fixed it myself by forcing a screw in, but wanted to make the dealer aware - he didn't seem too concerned however. I'd noticed that the brake wasn't holding the chain completely still when engaged, towards it's failure.

I few years back I had a 346 that developed running problems . Spud found the problem . A vent hole had not been made in the carb manifold . There should have been a Vent hole of about 1.5mm in the plastic throat . The only reason it ran was the carb boot was not fitted properly and leaked air ! A QC problem ....

• 3 months later...

Just been cleaning my chain brake mechanism as its not been stripped in 18 months and the brakes starting to stick a little. Took the screws out of the cover hoping it wasn't the same design as the last Husky I took apart and low and behold the spring shot out and bit my little finger.

Anyway whilst trying to reassemble the spring mechanism I somehow managed to snap the pin which the rocker/lever for the brake fits. Its about 3mm Dia!!!!!! and snapped like spaghetti what a pathetic design. Christ knows how much a new clutch cover is going to cost me.

Anyone have any tips on how to put this assembly back together safely without causing catastrophic damage.

Thanks.

Backpain, do you mean getting the spring which tensions the band when it's engaged? Just done it and a pair of needle nose pliers are required. I ripped my thumb open to the bone on Monday on my 560 clutch cover trying brute force. Search husqvarna clutch cover spring and watch the first you tube clip with the guy wearing green jacket sleeves. He Makes it look easy and it is after watching the video. Just keep your thumb on it once it's in until the cover plate is on or it embeds in the plaster one inch from your head!

As Daythe trees said, use a needle nose or crocodile pliers. Slip one side-jaw inside the spring and push. Make sure the cover is held down on a flat surface, (don't try holding it in the other hand). In the vid below, he uses a large slot screwdriver. But using the same technique but with the pliers, will give the same result, with a better degree of safety. He's made a reset tool from a cutdown scrench.

But as you can see in the next vid, this guy, (as I did) just resets the mechanism by twisting it with pliers.

However you fit the tensioning spring, once it's in place, either hold it in place with your thumb or as in the 2nd vid with a plate. Otherwise it's going to pop out while you're resetting the mechanism.

Fitting the tensioning spring takes less than a minute. Reseting the mechanism a little longer but all in, it takes a minute or so. You can add another couple of minutes for removing a broken brake band, cleaning and refitting. Before refitting the tensioning spring.

Edited by TGB