Indian Bean Trees

Rock Monkey

Hi All

I'm after a bit of advice on Indian Bean Trees. I have a customer, a school, who have 2 fantastic mature Bean Trees in the school grounds. (I don't have any photos at the moment but will try and get some). Both trees must be 25ft tall and twice as wide and provide a great natural canopy for the children in the playground. They seem in great health, except from quite a bit of deadwood in the lower inner canopy, which you can understand. The caretaker of the school is constantly panicking that they are going to shed their limbs onto the kids and keeps taking about having them reduced. I have been resisting this and have told him not to worry and that maybe a clean out of the deadwood would be the best option.

I guess what I'm looking for is peace of mind that I have given the correct advice. I know that the wood can be brittle but is it likely that they can shed limbs when they reach maturity? Has anyone got any experience of maintaining mature Bean trees?

Just to be clear, everyone concerned is very attached to the trees so any pruning would only be done if there was any real danger.

Thanks

Tel him that whilst your there you'll take his appendix out too as it may burst at some point in his life. Removing it is pointless unless its causing a problem.

If said tree is in good condition, why would you need to reduce it on the off chance that it may drop a branch. Every tree may drop a branch. Some more likely than others, but that's about your capabilities to decide the best course of action for the tree management.

If you have in place an accountable assessment process you have gone through to reach your decision, and you're prepared to standby that decision and the process in a court of law should anything happen untoward then don't worry about it.

Hi All

I'm after a bit of advice on Indian Bean Trees. I have a customer, a school, who have 2 fantastic mature Bean Trees in the school grounds. (I don't have any photos at the moment but will try and get some). Both trees must be 25ft tall and twice as wide and provide a great natural canopy for the children in the playground. They seem in great health, except from quite a bit of deadwood in the lower inner canopy, which you can understand. The caretaker of the school is constantly panicking that they are going to shed their limbs onto the kids and keeps taking about having them reduced. I have been resisting this and have told him not to worry and that maybe a clean out of the deadwood would be the best option.

I guess what I'm looking for is peace of mind that I have given the correct advice. I know that the wood can be brittle but is it likely that they can shed limbs when they reach maturity? Has anyone got any experience of maintaining mature Bean trees?

Just to be clear, everyone concerned is very attached to the trees so any pruning would only be done if there was any real danger.

Thanks

Nothing mentioned specifically in 'Principles of Tree Hazard Assessment and Management' nor 'Diagnosis of ill-health in Trees' for Catalpa and propensity for shedding limbs but it does mention 'twig-abscission' as a common problem. However, if it was Tulip tree the books do mention 'top breakage' as of concern = mechanical failure.

Sorry, little personal experience of this species to add anything more I'm afraid.

That said, if the trees are valuable in offering shade during hot summer days, perhaps a 'light' branch reduction, say 10-15% (as a linear distance of course :001_rolleyes:) would be appropriate as a precautionary measure and to pacify the school caretaker.

Whilst not an advocate of unnecessary pruning, sometimes minor pruning with very limited impact on tree health, can be a viable option I would suggest.

Cheers..

Paul

If its dropping limbs he's worried about, then cobra cables could be used for peace of mind. They can limit the damage if they do break and hold the 'butt' in the air.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

A tad expensive perhaps, and with a need for on-going maintenance / checking, but a very good proposal and one I'm sure the school caretaker will welcome.

Nice one :thumbup1:

PS Would still do a little bit of CR too.