Weird customer week

Hodge

Well this week I have had the weirdest customers in my 13 years of having a business, first a lady got me round to give a quote to remove a hedge and grind out the roots, say 20 meters long, 1.5 m high and 1.5 wide, also to prune a few other small trees and remove waste. I sent her a quote laying out the jobs she wanted doing. I also enclosed my insurance details also. I quoted £475 no vat. I got an email back to confirm she had got the quote and wanting me to explain such a large cost? She said she thought the job would take 3 hours! So how can I charge over £100 per hour! She then went on to say she had been in business and knows how things are and that I'm charging way to much. She then wants me to break down my quote to justify my costs!! I called her up and explaind that I turn up with 30k worth of gear and carry out the job in a professional manner, I take the waste away and I am licenced to do so. I point out that should a stone fly off the grinder and break a window or kill someone that I have insurance. She then asked me what my running costs were as to justify my quote! By now I had had enough and told her to go and get other quotes and then she would see that's about the going rate, I also told her to talk to her next door neighbour or the people over the road for whom I did the same type of job. She then started crying saying she was upset that I was upset at her! I said goodbye and hung up. Then tonight a lady rings up and asks how much to prune a tree, I tell her I need to see it before I can give a quote and she says it's an oak tree! I say again that I can't give a quote without looking and I would be happy to come and take a look. She says she wants a price over the phone! I explain all trees are different and that I need to take a look to which she said there is no need to be like that and hung up!

And it's only Tuesday!

Hodge

Don't you just love the public, had similar with a bloke wanting to know how much I'd pay him to take down his tree because it was oak and worth a lot of money!?!

Fact was it was only about 10" diameter and would need ringing up to get it out the garden. Told him I'd give him 50quid for the timber if he gave me 400 too cut it down 1st.

Still waiting by the phone for him too call back.......

Well this week I have had the weirdest customers in my 13 years of having a business, first a lady got me round to give a quote to remove a hedge and grind out the roots, say 20 meters long, 1.5 m high and 1.5 wide, also to prune a few other small trees and remove waste. I sent her a quote laying out the jobs she wanted doing. I also enclosed my insurance details also. I quoted £475 no vat. I got an email back to confirm she had got the quote and wanting me to explain such a large cost? She said she thought the job would take 3 hours! So how can I charge over £100 per hour! She then went on to say she had been in business and knows how things are and that I'm charging way to much. She then wants me to break down my quote to justify my costs!! I called her up and explaind that I turn up with 30k worth of gear and carry out the job in a professional manner, I take the waste away and I am licenced to do so. I point out that should a stone fly off the grinder and break a window or kill someone that I have insurance. She then asked me what my running costs were as to justify my quote! By now I had had enough and told her to go and get other quotes and then she would see that's about the going rate, I also told her to talk to her next door neighbour or the people over the road for whom I did the same type of job. She then started crying saying she was upset that I was upset at her! I said goodbye and hung up. Then tonight a lady rings up and asks how much to prune a tree, I tell her I need to see it before I can give a quote and she says it's an oak tree! I say again that I can't give a quote without looking and I would be happy to come and take a look. She says she wants a price over the phone! I explain all trees are different and that I need to take a look to which she said there is no need to be like that and hung up!

And it's only Tuesday!

Hodge

This made me chuckle

Give us strength.someone asked me yesterday to chop up a silver birch in their garden (someone else took it down),I explained it would be 50 quid (about half a cube of green wood) but they could purchase a cube of fantastic seasoned ash from me for 80 quid,they went for the former option but kept my number for logs in the future :lol: