Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Chainsaw Carving Forum Discussion forum for chainsaw carving and other woodwork, discuss techniques and share pictures of your latest work here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-10-16   #1 (permalink)

chainsaw carving set-up on a tight budget

Evening All,
I'm new to this forum and if this subject has been raised before, perhaps someone can push me to the correct thread: I've been carving a while, almost all small-scale, (though I have burned-out a couple of cheap angle grinders carving some oak animals for my kids school with an Arbortech disk). What would you recommend as a budget set-up for occasional chainsaw carving?
Old 01-11-16   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2014, 2015

Re: chainsaw carving set-up on a tight budget

ECHO CS281-WES WITH 1/4" DRIVE SPROCKET - SUPERB CARVING SAW FOR THE HOME AND PROFESSIONAL ALIKE. BUY THE SAW AND BUY SOME BARS! - Sugihara Guide Bars
Quex Wood Products
https://www.facebook.com/quexwood
Old 01-11-16   #3 (permalink)

We have been offering a chainsaw carving camp for beginners for nine years now and we require that participants have two saws and an angle grinder with a "flap sanding disk", safety boots, safety pants, eye and ear protection.

Bailey's in California ran a camp for a number of years and included a chainsaw in the price. Students were expected to change bars between blocking, shaping and detailing.

I always recommend a small cc saw for beginners, mainly because of weight.
I also recommend a maximum 0f 12" logs so that a 14" bar can work safely when ripping.

If the Echo CS281 saw was available in Canada (or US) I would highly recommend them. Sugiuhara or Cannon bars (Canadian Eh!)

ROOSTER
chainsaw carving beginner basics simple chainsaw carving patterns projects 101 quick carve whiteshell clear lake winnipeg manitoba canada hackensack competition agassiz chainsaw sculptors
Old 04-11-16   #4 (permalink)

Thanks both; even the Echo set is too rich for my blood - by occasional I mean only a few times a year - what are the issues with a second-hand saw? Would it be worth getting a second hand Echo/Stihl/other and putting a new carving bar on it?
Old 04-11-16   #5 (permalink)

Not a hobby to pinch pennies with.
Safety gear should be your first investment.

Second hand is fine for occasional use but will it be reliable?
My 24 inch saw is so old that it does not have a brake on it.
It has been reliable and strong but I only use it for ripping and only on big logs less than 24 inches so that the tip is not in the wood.

You will get many different opinions but remember that you only intend to be an occasional carver and not a pro!
Old 05-11-16   #6 (permalink)

Hi , as with all tools you get what you pay for , you may be lucky and get a good buy from ebay but I think with a carving bar and chain and sprocket you would be looking at 200/250, and the saw could go wrong after 3 weeks or just over 300 is what I paid for a new echo and carving bar and I know its going to last me yrs and yrs talk to Rob D on hear he will set you up with a good deal good luck with your carving
Cheers Mark
Old 08-01-17   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2014, 2015

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk
Old 08-01-17   #8 (permalink)

pick up a cheap mains electric chainsaw in Lidl, Aldi or Argos or similar and buy a proper narrow tip carving bar and chain for it. That will be doable for under 100.
Old 09-01-17   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haironyourchest View Post
pick up a cheap mains electric chainsaw in Lidl, Aldi or Argos or similar and buy a proper narrow tip carving bar and chain for it. That will be doable for under 100.
I suspect that you may not be able to get a 1/4 sprocket for these cheap saws.
The Echo sounds like a good package, even if you got a decent used saw you still need to buy 1/4 sprocket, dime tip bar and 1/4 carving chain so whichever route you go you'll need at least 250-300
Personally if it was me starting out I'd probably keep saving and buy the Echo pre set up for carving. If you decide it's not for you, you can sell on for similar money.
facebook https://www.facebook.com/Si.at.wisewoodsculptor
📞07888843051
Old 09-01-17   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisewood View Post
I suspect that you may not be able to get a 1/4 sprocket for these cheap saws.
The Echo sounds like a good package, even if you got a decent used saw you still need to buy 1/4 sprocket, dime tip bar and 1/4 carving chain so whichever route you go you'll need at least 250-300
Personally if it was me starting out I'd probably keep saving and buy the Echo pre set up for carving. If you decide it's not for you, you can sell on for similar money.
The Florabest Lidl one comes with an Orgeon 16" AO95 'Doubleguard' bar - would the mounting end of that type of orgeon bar be the same a dime tip? I haven't a clue but sure someone here does.