Pine cone picking

Riggerbear

Hi all,

Been climbing Macedonian pines today picking the cones that will be sent to Alice holt to be grown on.

Quite an enjoyable day with 2 of us collecting approx. 1500 cones.

The only problem is that our hands, ropes and hitches are covered in in the most stickiest sap I have ever known. It's was raining this morning and we kept quite clean but once it dried up this afternoon the stuff become unreal. I'm used to spruce sap but this stuff is in a different league.

Anyone else done any picking or got any tips on clearing gear afterwards ?

Hi RB

Stickiest I've been is Scott's pine dismantle I was stuck like glue, had to use a spare prussic just to get down... 2 cycles in the wash and it was sorted.

If it's really bad I wonder if naphtha thinners would work without spoiling the ropes, it's what French polishers use to thin out shellac which I believe is made from tree resin???

Just a thought... Not sure if it would harm your ropes tho?

Timon

Hi RB

Stickiest I've been is Scott's pine dismantle I was stuck like glue, had to use a spare prussic just to get down... 2 cycles in the wash and it was sorted.

If it's really bad I wonder if naphtha thinners would work without spoiling the ropes, it's what French polishers use to thin out shellac which I believe is made from tree resin???

Just a thought... Not sure if it would harm your ropes tho?

Timon

Wash your kit as soon as you get home. Once the sap dries that's pretty much it. I put an old bike inner tube over my flip line to protect it on the last sappy takedown. Cambium savers help too but won't stop 100%

I hear mechanical friction devices like the Spiderjack are less affected by sap.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk