Climbing Kit, Loler and the Sole Trader, Whats the Point?

R Mac

Exceptionally useful.... For 1, I'd imagine it would debunk the Type C trs for climbing situation and maybe lead to a designed 'fit for purpose' solution rather than just adding more protection to an existing product (Type A) because obviously, aerial use of a chainsaw must be more dangerous than ground use!

I mean, really, who actually makes cuts behind them self whilst climbing? I find it difficult to imagine and consequently question the viability and necessity of type C trs. In fact, you could go so far as to question the viability of either type A or C for aerial work since, personally, I very rarely make cuts that aren't between waist and chest / head height.... And where's the mandatory protection for those areas? There ain't none!

i thought this as well....

a friend of mine was coming down and went to cut a stog off, didnt notice another brach behind that, and the top handle got him in the lower calf.

Obviously this is down to safe use of the chainsaw but it does happen!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought this as well....

a friend of mine was coming down and went to cut a stog off, didnt notice another brach behind that, and the top handle got him in the lower calf.

Obviously this is down to safe use of the chainsaw but it does happen!

Like you said it comes down to safe use of chainsaw not the protection.

When I looked into it the HSE did a study link below, when you read the case studies the guy who cut the back of his leg the HSE deemed this could be preventable had he worn Type C protection, yet in the same article the arborist who cut his arm this was deemed preventable using good positioning - which tonne is a contradiction as both were preventable by employing good positioning and work practice.

They also claim that the leading cause of injury and death is working with chainsaws even though the other link shows an alarming amount of fatalities from falling objects which in my opinion show the greatest danger we face are not saws, and the most dangerous place to be is on the ground.

In all my years I have never seen a serious injury from a chainsaw although I have been involved in an accident (just not seriously injured). Yet the closest calls have always been a potential struck by falling object.

Case studies

http://www.goodtreesurgeon.co.uk/users/UserFiles/File/Legislation/ArbSafety-indg278.pdf

Edited by Marc

Like you said it comes down to safe use of chainsaw not the protection.

When I looked into it the HSE did a study link below, when you read the case studies the guy who cut the back of his leg the HSE deemed this could be preventable had he worn Type C protection, yet in the same article the arborist who cut his arm this was deemed preventable using good positioning - which tonne is a contradiction as both were preventable by employing good positioning and work practice.

They also claim that the leading cause of injury and death is working with chainsaws even though the other link shows an alarming amount of fatalities from falling objects which in my opinion show the greatest danger we face are not saws, and the most dangerous place to be is on the ground.

In all my years I have never seen a serious injury from a chainsaw although I have been involved in an accident (just not seriously injured). Yet the closest calls have always been a potential struck by falling object.

Case studies

http://www.goodtreesurgeon.co.uk/users/UserFiles/File/Legislation/ArbSafety-indg278.pdf

good analysis and thanks for the links - one entry that gave me pause for thought

A self-employed arborist was working alone

felling a large fir tree in a private garden. He

was found with multiple injuries at the base

of the tree, without a harness or other

protective equipment. He never regained

consciousness and died four days later in

hospital.

Never 'free climb' trees. Always ensure that

your means of access is secure. There

should always be at least two trained

climbers for any tree work involving access

by rope and harness.

I agree with the comment about groundsmen being at higher risk than climbers, - know someone knocked unconscious and off for a month when the climber didn't shout 'below'

I do Loler and try to do it as cheaply as possible but TBH by the time you have paid the insurance and time it takes it's not the great money earner you guys think though having read this I am going to put my prices up.

Some firms that send their stuff are truly spot on with all the paperwork and traceability in place and it's a pleasure to do and the pay less as a result

LikeY they would not be anywhere similar if the legislation didn't exist

Others send a stinky bag with every crab sticking and statements like don't think my rope will pass as I cut it a few weeks ago

So wtf are they using it and at least at some point they are now forced to sort it

I have had a lot of kit that has been poorly aligned and wrong crabs in the wrong configuration which I bet 80% of arbs are guilty of:blushing:

I have seen some shocking kits turn up

Some just do it because they have to for electric or railway work.

Though I will agree with most try to find someone that understands the industry kit you have.

P.s I earn more per hr doing trees than doing loler and I enjoy doing trees more.