Climbing Kit, Loler and the Sole Trader, Whats the Point?

R Mac

I hope I'd never have to find that one out for myself. Can you insure your conscience? I don't think my professional indemnity policy covers that!

My comment was tongue in cheek mainly :001_smile:

He would still be responsible for checking his own kit prior to use.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So pass or fail is entirely at the discression/opinion of the individual inspector rather than an industry standard ?

I knew this was coming! How does one interpret and apply industry standards? Certain guidelines are very black and white i.e. If a climbing rope has more than 3 strands severed over its entire length then it is to be retired, regardless of how much of its strength percentage is in the sheath or core. Very black and white.

But what about scorching on hitch cord? How do you measure that in accordance with industry standards? It has to be the examiners discretion.

I recently heard of another Loler inspector advising his clients to burn off frays and pulls on climbing rope with a cigarette lighter!

Hopefully there would only be a narrow spectrum of variation in terms of applying and interpreting the standards. In my case, If I was inspecting the kit of a production climber who is climbing everyday being hard on his kit, my interpretation of the same standards might vary slightly if I was inspecting kit used very occasionally by someone doing lighter work.

I like to work with my clients not against them! (The few that I have, anyway). I'd much rather be climbing than trying to squint at minute serial numbers any day. :)

I completly sympathise but i have my personal kit lolered without exception and with this in mind-my stein cambium saver failed as the stiching at one of the rings had started to frey,i didnt notice it even doing weekly checks.If the loler hadnt highlighted it i may have had a sore one.

I think it should be down to the individual whether they want a loler inspection or not,espescially as it cost me nearly 90 quid.Being a tight arsed scotsman thats hard too take

Think i need to put my prices up!!!!

Any link to this story? I'm interested to find out whether the bridge had been replaced incorrectly rather than the harness itself being at fault.

There was one reported fatality recently where, as far as I remember the bridge had been replaced with cordage unsuitable for the application.

Maybe someone with a better memory can add the details :confused1:

edit This is the story I was thinking of.

http://www.treemagineers.com/blog/customising-ppe/

Edited by R Mac

Climber in the states died a few months back,the bridge on his harness gave out while he was ascending.

It was reported his "saddle"was ten years old.

I do believe that was a modified bridge that failed. The climber had replace the bridge with the incorrect type of cord, hence the failure when shock loaded.

£90.... I have a climbing kit and a lowering kit inspected and it was £200!

2x climbing 1x rigging ropes, harness, ascender, strop and the usual array or Prussiks, karabiners and other shines things.

I'm happy with the service I get, I'm just interested in what the £90 lower covers