Withholding final pay

MAPLE LEAF

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friend of mine has just left a garden maintenance job and his old boss is demanding he signs a confidentially clause stating he can't go after any of his business or tell anyone about his contracts.sounds like he is losing jobs by the day.thats fine my mate isn't going to go after anyway but he has to sign this to get his money.anyone knows if this is legal.

Thanks in advance

So as "not to burn bridges" as you never know what the future holds, albeit I'm sure your mate wouldn't want to go back to this employ n I hope he doesn't have to, but I would suggest he simply write to / email the ex-employer saying he has taken competent advice and will look forward to receiving his pay in the usual way (without, ideally, getting into an argument or baiting the issue.)

Cheers,

Paul

Was just about to suggest them myself.They can be useful and turn cases round within a quite tight timescale.

If pay is withheld illegally then the employer could face the possibility of a tribunal,..further costs and compensation to the employee.

In this case, being someone of principal I wouldn't sign it, be it enforceable or not, signing it is accepting it. The wages due are for work done by the employee, why should someone be held to ransom over that ?

So as "not to burn bridges" as you never know what the future holds, albeit I'm sure your mate wouldn't want to go back to this employ n I hope he doesn't have to, but I would suggest he simply write to / email the ex-employer saying he has taken competent advice and will look forward to receiving his pay in the usual way (without, ideally, getting into an argument or baiting the issue.)

Cheers,

Paul

Great advice Paul!

Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy - Isaac Newton.

Not something I've ever mastered!! :blushing::lol:

Great advice Paul!

Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy - Isaac Newton.

Not something I've ever mastered!! :blushing::lol:

Well said.

I had some one try this with me I just left and carried on, from memory it would have to be written in from day one and they would have to set up some sort of paid gardening leave.

A supplier at work left his employer and went to another selling same stuff, so we just bought from him at his new employment, the thing people often miss is its all about the people you deal with so he may well wish to set up on his own and old customers may follow they may not thats the way of the world.

Just sign it and do what he wants to do as the cost of taking him to court won't be worth any gain

There is also a certain culture that runs through some companies whereas whilst you are there you are the best thing since sliced bread, and when you leave you are the biggest t--t that walked the earth, so make life difficult for you.

Final payments can be a bugger for subbies too,theres one that advertises on here from time to time for subbies that has a problem parting with the last bit of money,..entitlement issues,...but that's a different story.