New to the game.

AmberLeaf

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My hope is that a lot dont make it past 40 as they've had 20-25 years grafting. I'm hoping I still have 10-15 years effort left in me after my 15 years hard graft controlling an office chair :001_tt2:

That's my hope too. I started about 18 months ago, am 39 now and am getting on fine. Only part-time though.

I'm in Folkestone in Kent,

Basically I'm worried about taking a serious pay cut from the army, I'm looking for the best/quickest way of becoming a well paid climber.

Cheers.

You'll only become a well paid climber IF you can become a great climber.

That will take about 4-5 years of full time climbing.

So do you think its worth me spending the best part or £4000 on this course that gives me all the tickets, or starting from the bottom with no tickets and working my way up?

Basically I'm worried about taking a serious pay cut from the army, I'm looking for the best/quickest way of becoming a well paid climber.

Cheers.

Do you have any C1 C or C+E from the army. It would make you more employable off the bat than others especially to some of the bigger firms.

So do you think its worth me spending the best part or £4000 on this course that gives me all the tickets, or starting from the bottom with no tickets and working my way up?

Cheers.

I think you need to decide if you want to be a Treeworker or you want to earn big quickly, they don't go hand in hand. I went from a very well paid job as a machine operator/setter in a factory to being a Treeworker with CS30, 31, 32, 38 & 39 and barely scraping minimum wage (regional wage differences I guess) but personally I'd rather do tree work at minimum wage than stack shelves for a couple of quid/hour above min wage. Fortunately I had a decent redundancy package after 32 years service and no debts.

Spent Mon to Wednesday doing forestry type work in the pissing rain and Thursday and today climbing, again in the pissing rain. Now my garage is full of wet kit that hasn't a hope of drying before I'm back in the forest on Monday.

Like I say unless you really want to do tree work you'd earn more as a plumber (or window cleaner for that matter)

That's the reality IMO, if you really want treework it's the best job in the world but no amount of tickets will get you on the train to Get Rich Quick.

If you decide to go for it, good luck, I personally don't regret it :thumbup1: