Electric bench sharpeners

Swampster

I got one of these sharpeners too. Just had a play and sharpened a couple of damaged chains quite quickly. Only thing I found is I needed to clean out the gullet with a file as the width of the cutting disk is too narrow for 3/8 chain. Didn't take long though, certainly quicker than doing the whole lot by hand. Bargain for £20!

I picked one up as well and I've had a quick play with it, sharpening about 5 old and in-use chains. It seems I have to reset the depth and width for each side of the chain. So my chain teeth are now not the same width for the left cut and the right cut as each time I reset the width, it will vary. All of the left teeth are the same width and all of the right teeth are the same width but they are not necessarily identical. Anyone else find this? By width I mean the length of the top of the tooth as you look vertically down onto the chain as fitted into the guide (or bar).

So long as set your rakers right for each cutter then it doesn't matter if the cutters are the same length, it'll still cut in a straight line.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I got one of these sharpeners too. Just had a play and sharpened a couple of damaged chains quite quickly. Only thing I found is I needed to clean out the gullet with a file as the width of the cutting disk is too narrow for 3/8 chain. Didn't take long though, certainly quicker than doing the whole lot by hand. Bargain for £20!

Did you find it gave the tooth a bit too much hook on the 3/8?

Did you find it gave the tooth a bit too much hook on the 3/8?

Not really too much hook, just that the radius of the wheel is too tight so couldn't get a nice rounded gullet. Sharp cutting edge though, and had no trouble with keeping the teeth the same length.

I did some 3/8 and 404. Both types the hook looked very aggressive. I prefer to file by hand and even taught myself to be ambidextrous to get angles and pressure consistent on both sides. The electric grinder is great for recovery of a badly hammered chain.

Shaun

Surely once set the grind should be the same on both sides?

Only if you make sure the angle is set exactly the same on both sides if you know what I mean.

Re 3/8 chain, I've seen discs sold as being for 3/8 regular, the disc is thicker than the one supplied with the Lidl sharpener, IIRC it's 4.7mm for 3/8 and 3.2mm for .325. This is different to the recommended file size which is AFAIK 4.8mm for .325 and 5.5mm for 3/8.

Only if you make sure the angle is set exactly the same on both sides if you know what I mean.

Re 3/8 chain, I've seen discs sold as being for 3/8 regular, the disc is thicker than the one supplied with the Lidl sharpener, IIRC it's 4.7mm for 3/8 and 3.2mm for .325. This is different to the recommended file size which is AFAIK 4.8mm for .325 and 5.5mm for 3/8.

Where can you get these disks from?