Is there a lack of groundman?

swinny

Best, most reasonable thread we've had in ages. Someone who can't do heights but loves the work is ideal.

The industry does suffer a bit of the football prima Donna attitude towards climbing . They aren't as effective in their own. A team is essential.

Really there should be little difference in rates I think. Climbing is the privledged job. I have worked alongside useless cheap help, whilst thinking a little more coin per hour we'd be getting a heck of a lot more done.

Today I've earnt £140+ sat on my backside driving a hgv for 11hrs. Not a drop of sweat,minimal wear and tear of any of my kit. Park truck up go home and forget it. No sharpening,maintainence after hours.

Why would many like myself bother thinking about ground working for £70?

I remember a money oriented whipper snapper a few years ago telling the foreman he was worth £7 an hour. The foreman looked over across the field at me and said to the lad

" if your worth £7 goaty is worth £21"

"Why"

"Because he's done 3 rows to your one"

No more was said, but needless to say I probably was on £10 maximum.

But it illustrates the point.

If it takes 3 to do same amount on minimum wage as a grafter. Pay him 1/2 of three cheap lads. He'll not be motivated to leave.

" I'm on a good thing , it's not worth the risk of leaving"

Your profit will probably be the same, your hassle less, your work enjoyment higher.

Money is far from the most important thing. Got to work (in most cases ) in this life, might as well enjoy doing it.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent years with crap groundes,

I them got a great one who is now a climber/foreman who I have invested in a lot. Tickets towing mewp etc.

Because of this I have more time to peruse decent work,

Now we have great jobs with little domestic or dragging, great kit, lorries and chippers and we have a good reputation.

Lads are beating at the door for work.

I also don't really consider some lads climbers some groundes we can all climb at different skill levels and usually the least skilled guy climbs so we can all improve.

I like to think were all tree guys in it together.

Yes at work till 22:00

Headlamps on the grinder Stefan??

If you think its hard to find decent labourers now just wait until brexit kicks in. The workshy, benefit grabbers snd sicknote seekers wont be in any hurry to fill the migrant workers boots.

Bob

Need to make it exiting and motivate people, fun cool machinery to drive with usb chargers. Away with branch dragging and physical work, replace climbers with smart ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Bang on,

I reckon brash dragging / gnome dodging is like being in a North Korean prison camp serving hard labour

If you think its hard to find decent labourers now just wait until brexit kicks in. The workshy, benefit grabbers snd sicknote seekers wont be in any hurry to fill the migrant workers boots.

Bob

Not when our glorious government stops the current benefit system!

Nearly nine million non contributors with a vote, how long do you think a change to the benefit system would last ? :)

Bob

It does make you wonder why the tories got in again?

I wonder what percentage of the non contributors voted leave not really understand what they were voting for.

Interesting read! i think working along climbers/aspiring climbers is easily the most enjoyable way of working - with an enthusiasm for the job in general.

4.5 years in arb and am yet to meet anyone content with working on the ground full time!

I climb and ground. my day rate is my day rate.. don't mind over time as long as theres under time, and feel as though big dismantles deserve a bonus