what to look out for on an old L200?

flatyre

In my opinion, i'd rip the block and box out sell separately and weigh the rest in. Looks like the truck could end up being abit of a money pit, when was the last mot? Any paperwork? If I was keeping it I wouldn't bother with a tipper, maybe some kind of hinged bed or something that a telehandler or forklift could lift up to tip? But that depends if you have access to one, All the best with the project.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Arbtalk mobile app

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She certainly is a project! and if I had the money i'd buy something around the three or four grand mark, fresh enough not to require any work but old enough not to worry about getting a few scrapes and dents. But here is how things stack up, this is only my second year in business, I had absolutely no funds when I took the plunge and have spent the past couple of years clawing a small landscaping business out of nothing. Always wanted a pickup but couldn't afford one, and though work is going well, I need to keep my capitol for tools and materials, so splashing out on a 4x4 could tie up funds that could be better spent elsewhere. Short story long, I have time, skills, and materials, but what I don't have is bags of money to spend on it. Even if I did have the money to get a tipping body made for her, I couldn't justify paying two grand for something I could fab myself for three or four hundred, and that includes buying a brand new 12v ram kit. Basically I just want a pickup and if I can use it to promote the tree services side of the business then it might even pay for itself.

I have time, skills, and materials, but what I don't have is bags of money to spend on it.

Go for it and good luck, seriously, build it in your spare time between jobs (if you have any spare time) and it'll end up cheaper anyway than working and paying through the nose for somebody else to build it.

Photos when it's finished of course :thumbup1:

She certainly is a project! and if I had the money i'd buy something around the three or four grand mark, fresh enough not to require any work but old enough not to worry about getting a few scrapes and dents. But here is how things stack up, this is only my second year in business, I had absolutely no funds when I took the plunge and have spent the past couple of years clawing a small landscaping business out of nothing. Always wanted a pickup but couldn't afford one, and though work is going well, I need to keep my capitol for tools and materials, so splashing out on a 4x4 could tie up funds that could be better spent elsewhere. Short story long, I have time, skills, and materials, but what I don't have is bags of money to spend on it. Even if I did have the money to get a tipping body made for her, I couldn't justify paying two grand for something I could fab myself for three or four hundred, and that includes buying a brand new 12v ram kit. Basically I just want a pickup and if I can use it to promote the tree services side of the business then it might even pay for itself.

I'm in a very similar situation to you, it's a hard road to travel when you haven't got a lump sum to buy the toys you need. Fair play to ya.

:thumbup:

I buy and sell light commercials on the side, and having owned most pickups that under 3K will buy, if you want a stress free vehicle then these are one type i'd avoid. I'm currently running around in a '97 2WD L200, and that's ace- cheap, reliable and great on diesel but having had a '98 crew cab, the words that come to mind if I'm offered another are no, no, no...however other blokes on here i'm sure have had better experiences. All about luck really, as major engine faults and overheating are common on the variant you are thinking about buying. Frankly a 200000 mile Mk4 Hilux will drive a hell of a lot better than an L200 on half that on the clock, and hold it's money. Save your cash and get one of those

hey flatyre bare with me

why dont you climb trees, joe blow, climbs trees, so you get a climbing kit.

why dont you have a stihl 880, joe blow has an 880, so you get an 880

why dont you get a tipper truck, joe blow has a tipper truck. so you get a tipper truck

why dont you have a chipper, joe blow has a chipper, so you get a chipper truck

why dont you have a crane, joe blow has a crane, so you get a crane

why dont you have workers, joe blow has workers, so you get workers.

why dont you have a firewood processor, joe blow has a firewood processor. so you get a fire wood processor

so eventually after working you arse off, hey he was lucky, he got it handed to him. will you cut my tree for free, you can have the timber. meanwhile you owe hundreds of thousands to banks so you know what **** them.

you start with what you got.

this guy is inspirational to me. i know he is american but still he gives alright advice on youtube

The Landscaping Employee Trap + Window Cleaning