Fuel and oil mixture

Dextercutt

Just done a 088 Stihl that I reckon was laid up with a tank full of fuel and then used months later as it had no air leak, the carb and fuel line were fine and the carb was adjusted as it should be.

It had a bad seize and was almost definitely down to old fuel so if you use your 880/088 etc and are not going to use it again for a while - DRAIN THE TANK.....you know it makes sense!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just done a 088 Stihl that I reckon was laid up with a tank full of fuel and then used months later as it had no air leak, the carb and fuel line were fine and the carb was adjusted as it should be.

It had a bad seize and was almost definitely down to old fuel so if you use your 880/088 etc and are not going to use it again for a while - DRAIN THE TANK.....you know it makes sense!

Had a couple of 560s with the same issue , saws were both run on old fuel and seized very heavy on the exhaust side after a short period of use , no other issues found apart from very nasty smelling fuel .

Don't worry about mine they are drained and usually put into something being used the next day. I don't see the point in wasting fuel

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

" Dont be Lame ...DRAIN" :biggrin:

Thats one good thing about a purge bulb to some degree ....if you dont run the machine till the carb runs dry on lay up ( i dont ) then at least putting new fuel in the tank and pumping the bulb helps to get fresh fuel in the carb ASAP..helping normal fire up.

Don't wait....Aspenate!

I wish I could. There's STILL no-one in the Evesham area stocking it :( And my usual internet supplier was out of stock the other week, so I ended up mixing up 5 litres of pump fuel.

God it was awful stuff. The saws hated it in the heat, with the fuel vapour locking after a couple of hours of solid use crosscutting. I stank. I got those headaches and vile taste in my mouth again.

New Aspen has just arrived... :)

I wish I could. There's STILL no-one in the Evesham area stocking it :( And my usual internet supplier was out of stock the other week, so I ended up mixing up 5 litres of pump fuel.

God it was awful stuff. The saws hated it in the heat, with the fuel vapour locking after a couple of hours of solid use crosscutting. I stank. I got those headaches and vile taste in my mouth again.

New Aspen has just arrived... :)

Don't forget that we supply Aspen all over the country by carrier and are never out of stock!