Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

11 minutes ago, matelot said:

My parents are British. So it's not really surprising that I was born in Britain....

:lol:

You've spectacularly missed the point.

13 minutes ago, matelot said:

If parents in Somalia want to cut bits off their daughters it's just not our concern.

If you are not concerned about this it is you that are the barbarian.

14 minutes ago, matelot said:

You've got a colonial mindset. You think we should go back to the 19th century and bring civilisation to those barbarians!

I am probably one of the least patriotic people you are ever likely to meet. I have zero desire to promote colonialism. I do not think we should go back to the 19th century. I think we should help disperse 21st century reasoned and compassionate ideas to people who are locked into bad ideologies.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, forestboy1978 said:

You peaked my interest so I also did a bit of research....

It sounds impressive until you find that no.1 Middle Eastern university ranks 145 in the world. No.2 - 207th No. 10 - 572nd and so on and so forth. 

Factoring in the sheer number of universities provided by even quite small nations it is unsurprising that the top 100 across an entire continent is in the top 20%. UK is tiny and we have 3 in the top 100 which is probably the top 1%. 

Frankly it's a terrible statistic that at a glance sounds impressive but upon close evaluation entirely disproves the argument you're trying to make.

No it doesn’t they still have 100 universities within the top 20% of global universities. You can’t disprove that because it is a fact. 

Whether you find it interesting or not is irrelevant it is still so. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

I am probably one of the least patriotic people you are ever likely to meet. I have zero desire to promote colonialism. I do not think we should go back to the 19th century. I think we should help disperse 21st century reasoned and compassionate ideas to people who are locked into bad ideologies.

You want to impose Western ideas on brown people... 

Western intervention in Iraq/ Libya/ Afghanistan was counterproductive. Band Aid was a complete waste of time. Maybe white people going to brown countries to help them out isn't actually that productive....

Anyway, is your attitude towards the third world not racist? If Somalians want to cut up their daughters it's up to them. It's racist of you to judge them.

23 minutes ago, WesD said:

No it doesn’t they still have 100 universities within the top 20% of global universities. You can’t disprove that because it is a fact. 

Whether you find it interesting or not is irrelevant it is still so. 

So the top Middle Eastern university is number 145 in the world. Yet the Middle East has 100 universities in the top 20% of world universities.

Where did you learn statistics? The Bestest Saudi Arabian University of Maths and Goat Herding?

15 minutes ago, WesD said:

That’s very grown up of you :thumbup1:

Fine!

You'll have "to go and do your own leg work on this" to quote your response to Matelot for asking for evidence to your unsubstantiated claim but here it is in a nutshell seen as you pressed me.

You're absolutely entirely and completely wrong! FACT!

Your fact was accurate and I have not disputed that. I am merely "trying" to explain to you how statistically speaking your fact does absolutely zero in presenting the middle east in an impressive way whatsoever. Statistically speaking due to the sheer mass of geography of the continent and number of people and educational institutions within it the fact that they only have 100 in the top 20% of universities globally is abominable! The statistic, though on the surface looks like a shiny shimmering thing, attests to the argument that they are utterly backward. Now factoring the diversity of economic prosperity, or lack of, and human diversity across this expanse then this appalling statistic MUST be due to culture.

Your "leg work" if you want to understand why you're actually doing no service to your middle eastern pals is to analyse and comprehend the statistics so you can defend them better in the future. 

Edited by forestboy1978
spelt "your" as "you're" wrong and Mick will notice
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, matelot said:

Anyway, is your attitude towards the third world not racist? If Somalians want to cut up their daughters it's up to them. It's racist of you to judge them.

For goodness sake Matelot. You're speaking just like the far left that you so despise.

I'm not judging their race, I'm judging the practice of cutting off girls' clitorises

If you think this is racism, or you think this judgement is wrong you are very sick in the head.

• Like 2