Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

58 minutes ago, tree-fancier123 said:

I don't dispute modern chemicals can be carcinogenic, but cancer in young people is still rare - I mean one person in 200 has something devastating happen that kills them/ ruins their life, whereas 199 out of 200 are cancer free by age 25

Yeah, when you put it like that, you're absolutely right. F*ck that 200th guy. He's probably a prick anyway. 

I would say though... that if 1 in every 200 people we sent to Iraq came back in a box, there would be riots.

2 hours ago, Steven P said:

I'd suspect that there isn't one single cause that you can pinpoint and say "That it is" but are more likely to be many small things that add up to cause cancers.

I'd also suspect that genetics plays a role here (in that for example, some people in a family might have allergies, some might not).

Third thing I'd suspect is that combine the 2 together, genetics and your diet  / make up / lifestyle might make you a risk of cancer but not someone else living apparently similar lives.

Might look up e-numbers too - I had a list once online and their suspected links (website was mostly redundant / duplicated years ago so I took it down) - a lot to do with childhood hyperactivity but cancers and diabetes links appeared regularly (not all e-numbers are bad, some are just a number for food (example E162 is beetroot juice).

Peds has a point I think - what we add to crops could have an effect if your body is built that way - and if you can... go for the more organic (example here, broccoli or organic broccoli in Lidl was about 10p different, best chicken to second best chicken again about 15p a kg different, in a big shop we don't notice that). On meat free days we'll go organic chickpeas and so on, difference in price for that meal to a meat meal makes up for going to organic veggies quite often

I didn't see this, it was lost at the bottom of the previous page.

Quoted here to updoot. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stere said:

Modern plant pots are very  inferior quality  plastic compared to old ones.....

I have some old ones that have  lasted yrs

Make in UK,  congleton & darlington etc I don't  think anyone makes them anymore the same quality?

The modern orange pots are definitely inferior. Whilst the paper thin jobs thrown out with bedding plants are beneath inferior, clearly intended to be a single use only consumable. Crap.

I think there's also a big difference between pots destined for domestic use, and those destined for industrial/commercial use. The big, black ones used by the latter, for shrubs and small trees,  (and by hydroponics operations), are made of a different type of plastic, thicker and more flexible, tougher and last for ages, even in UV.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Johnsond said:

I bet this character is pleased the GE is over with. Anyone watching him squirm at the enquiry would not recognise him as the jovial bungee jumper. 

IMG_9571.png

What’s his female aid doing in the car with her left hand🤔. Thought he could at least do that himself cos he’s a complete wanker!