Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

Not a big twitter user, but rather liked this and thought it tied in nicely with the "police cuts" element of the discussion:

From a friend

I am posting this so we can get a few things sorted out in our minds before Thursdays General Election - so OK Corbyn, let's get a few things clear:

1 million more police officers would not have stopped the Manchester Bombings 3 weeks ago any more than the numbers in 1996 stopped the IRA bombings.

10,000 more police in London would not have made the2 minutes response and 8 minutes end time quicker last Saturday.

What would make a difference is Anti Terror legislation. Now, where do you stand on that?!

1. Addressing a Stop The War Coalition conference in 2011, you told the crowd: “I’ve been involved in opposing anti-terror legislation ever since I first went into Parliament in 1983”.

2. You voted against the Prevention of Terrorism (Temporary Provisions) Bill in 1984. It introduced police powers to arrest a person suspected of involvement in acts of terrorism connected to Northern Ireland. Looking back, in 2011, you said: “It probably generated more support for those who wish to commit those acts than anything else, because it criminalised large numbers of people who had committed no criminal wrong.”

3. You opposed the 1989 Prevention of Terrorism (Temporary Provisions) Bill, which proscribed the IRA and Irish National Liberation Army.

4. You voted against the 2000 Terrorism Bill, which introduced police powers to stop and search anyone in a designated area without having to show reasonable suspicion for doing so.

5. You opposed the 2006 Terrorism Bill, which outlawed the glorification of terrorism, cracked down on jihadists attending terror training camps and prohibited the circulation of terrorist publications.

6. You opposed the introduction of Terrorism Prevention and Investigation Measures (TPIMs) in 2011. The measures, which replaced control orders, imposed restrictions on individuals suspected of being involved in terrorism but where there was insufficient evidence to prosecute them.

7. You voted against the Data Retention and Investigatory Powers Act 2014, which provided authorities with emergency access to phone and internet records and required communications companies to retain data for 12 months.

And you want to be our Prime Minister????

What say you about this? It's the tories doing everything they can to support ISIS.

What say you about this?

What do I say about it?

Same as I've always said / thought:

There are long and particularly undistinguished lists of examples of DFID and internal funding for unsavoury cover groups that support activities that are dubious.

Priti Patel is the first DFID Minister I can name than has taken anything like a proactive (all be it long overdue and still desperately insufficient) stance in getting a grip on overseas funding. It's about time similar scrutiny was applied at home too.

(I hope the slight delay responding was OK, I just wanted to give Steve a chance to tell me what I was thinking 😁)

So why is nobody talking about Brexit during this election? Not much in the media, hardly gets mentioned in the debates, not much mention of it by the leaders in any detail, not even much talk of it on arbtalk. I thought it was the reason this election was called.

All this arguing over which party will manage the economy best - leaving the EU is probably the single thing that will have the greatest impact on our economy in the coming years. Also impact on our security, our position within global politics, how our economy works, taxation, how we trade.

Why is this not being discussed more between the parties if we are meant to be deciding the government who will be negotiating.. Is it because labour and cons want to negotiate for pretty much the same deal? - Lib Dem only party that offers an alternative on Brexit. Or is it too unknown to be worth discussing? And why doesn't the money we will save from leaving EU feature in any of the costings - how is that 350million a week going to be spent?!!

[attach]221239[/attach]

That's a bit harsh. Before going into the interviews she would have been told to come out with any old B/S and we wouldn't notice as we the general population are a bit thick. She would also have been briefed that those that have enough intelligence to know B/S from fact wouldn't vote labour anyway

:biggrin: