Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

2 hours ago, 5thelement said:

My main issue with any Brexit discussion is you can’t even ask the question “What benefits have you seen so far?” without people spitting their dummies out and calling you a remoner or that somehow you are being unpatriotic. 
Its like showing even a tad of empathy for the Palestinians automatically labels you an antisemite, very strange.

2 hours ago, Johnsond said:

🤷‍♂️Of course they were around but the  numbers of apprenticeships and the incentives to train local Labour dropped massively after free movement. That is an undeniable fact and nothing to do whatsoever with what Andy said. I’m genuinely pleased  your nephew succeeded. I witnessed the decline of the numbers Scottish lads for a particular firm we used for successive vessel mobs post free movement and heard it first hand off their manager, cheaper to hire welders as and when required on an ad  hoc basis through an agency specifically dealing with Eastern Europe welders/platers etc etc rather than train people and offer them the benefits of a full time job and a career. Since Brexit I’ve witnessed an about turn and seen young lads starting to turn up once more. 
You might not like the Brexit result but I’d rather see what I’m seeing now than what I’ve watched happen previously. 

This wasn’t caused simply by free movement though. The shipyards of Britain had been long dead well before this. Globalisation and cheap manufacturing abroad was a bigger issue.

Its great that you have seen an upturn in local labour, do you ever envisage a time when the shipyards reopen and we build our all our own Naval Vessels again?
And I have no problem with the vote, just that it’s being wasted.

40 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Are you going to answer my reply to you above?

Apologies. I missed it before. 

£200 a day seems like less than brickies were paid up in Scotland, which is the last time I engaged with them. 

£200 is what I used to pay my chainsaw operatives as a minimum, provided they were good. Chainsaw operation is more expensive than brick laying and just as hard work, I dare say. It's a decent enough living, but maybe not quite so much now with the cost of living increases.

16 minutes ago, Big J said:

£200 a day seems like less than brickies were paid up in Scotland, which is the last time I engaged with them. 

£200 is what I used to pay my chainsaw operatives as a minimum, provided they were good. Chainsaw operation is more expensive than brick laying and just as hard work, I dare say. It's a decent enough living, but maybe not quite so much now with the cost of living increases.

And thanks to Brexit and the ending of free movement they are now getting a better standard of living. 

21 minutes ago, Big J said:

That wasn’t my question, but we can overlook that.

On site in Manchester recently brickies (2&1) are earning £800/thousand bricks laid, the team I was speaking to said they were averaging 1400 bricks/day on a 3 way split. Slightly better for the working man, don’t you think?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, 5thelement said:

This wasn’t caused simply by free movement though. The shipyards of Britain had been long dead well before this. Globalisation and cheap manufacturing abroad was a bigger issue.

Its great that you have seen an upturn in local labour, do you ever envisage a time when the shipyards reopen and we build our all our own Naval Vessels again?
And I have no problem with the vote, just that it’s being wasted.

Yeah sadly that did play a part. Im well aware of the decline in shipbuilding, I started my diving career on the Tyne and regularly was up at many of the yards in particular Swans doing hull swims etc post launch on various vessels including HMS Westminster, Northumberland, Fort George, BAS James Clark Ross etc etc the latter is now retired which sort of brings it home how long I’ve been at this crap. Anyway BAE systems and Babcocks are knocking a few out and Barrow does well out of the submarines etc, we can only hope thst one day a government with balls and a long term strategic vision puts legislation in place to make sure that stuff is built here. The bullshit and lies around the wind farms and renewables etc is infuriating when in reality virtually zero is made here worse still a hell of a lot is coming all the way from China. A lot of people slate the Americans but the likes of the Jones act is to be admired IMO. 

• Like 1