Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

I'm well aware of perspective, I'm surrounded by history and trees that even predate most of that history.

He who does not know his own history is doomed to repeat it.

There is one distinction, nature does not form countries and governments, you can argue bees and other inspects do but that's more of a semi totalitarian pyramid.

What a lot of people forget about Europe is democracy only restarted after WW2. They had a thin veneer during but mostly dictated to than a democracy.

Edited by GarethM

Completely impossible is abit strong, I would go  more with extremely unlikely in the short term.

& then the further you go into the future the harder to predict what could happen.....

I do think  that increasing   inequality in the UK means more likely an increase in the chances of civil unrest.....

Bread a circuses etc.

Goverments a circus all on its own atm, but still needs to provide some bread......

Some history snippets in this article:

WWW.WEFORUM.ORG

According to the latest Chief Economists Outlook, the difficulty people are having when it comes to buying bare essentials is...

The French Revolution, a traumatic event that ultimately cost millions of lives and kickstarted modern Europe, was preceded by an estimated 55% rise in the cost of bread. That’s a smaller price hike than some countries have endured recently.

According to the World Economic Forum’s latest Chief Economists Outlook, economic discontent has been fuelling “febrile political dynamics” – and the difficulty people continue to have when it comes to buying bare essentials is ramping up the risk of social unrest.

Edited by Stere
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Think Kev is mistaking the UK for one of those countries that have had democracy for all of five minutes.

Mate I'm just saying - 400 years is as 5 minutes, but a blink of the eye of a universe, where human existence is like nothing in comparison to the whole.  Against that perspective 400 years since the English civil war is so small a period of time as to not even be measurable. 

I'm only putting it out there, I'm not advocating or even seriously suggesting it might happen - I'm just saying, when measured against the current usage of the word "unprecedented" that a military coup or perhaps a mutiny are not without precedent.  

Ergo - already unable to qualify as "unprecedented" in a world where "unprecedented" has become almost "anticipated."  We are, after all, only 2 ¼ centuries since the Spithead mutinies and only 79 years - a singe lifetime - since the Tyne Tees (50th) and Highland (51st) Divisions downed rifles at the battle for Salerno.

And the WI - a formidable force!  Just ask Tony 🤣

53 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Great, now I've got the mental image of the WI forming table and chair bake sale road blocks, smearing pastel coloured camo cream on their faces to blend into the concrete jungle!. Older ladies rocking in the corner screaming you've not seen what I've seen in a 1960s Vietnam vet style.

Step away from the Victoria sponge cake Mrs Jones!

1 hour ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I hear ya….

But your examples are of those days not these days. 

What I mean is, over relatively short periods of time, human behaviour has the potential to change immeasurably - exponentially. 

Example: just a 100 years ago, 880,000 (6% of the UK adult male population) willingly walked into the kill zones of German machine gunners on a sense of ‘duty.’

Technology, awareness, access to info (whether genuine or otherwise) all of these things have changed beyond recognition in a 100 years. The rate of technological change is accelerating beyond the ability of humans to quietly adapt. When it reaches a critical mass there will be a Big Bang -  ✈️ ↘️🏙

You say Strangeways, I say poll tax protests. 

You say Brixton, I say anti war marches. 

We’re on a curve mate, where it peaks or peters out who really knows but suddenly, apparently out of no where, (unlike the French) the Brits will take more than can be realistically imagined, then, all of a sudden, boom, the WI are slapping on camo cream. 

Before the military were called in people would have to take to the streets and cause mayhem, I can’t see it happening.

Nothing’s changed, people will sit back and take it… dry.

17 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Should we count the amount of protest we’ve been on? I’m guessing I know who would come out on top.

Alright sweetheart, I was only pulling your leg....

You'd win because while you were pissing up your weekends in a hippy protest bus I was in far off lands spreading the Empire and taming the natives...  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2