Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

Just now, daltontrees said:

Have you not figured it out? Get independence then get shot of the SNP. The very next day. People who don't vote for independence because they don't like the SNP or Sturgeon are short-sighted beyond belief.

That old chestnut, eh? It’s been done to death so I’ll not waste much time in it. But for me it’s much akin to voting for Putin or Kim Jung-Un to deliver a result we wanted to only find out after that there is simply not another party to vote for. It would be generations before another party could rival the SNP and by then I believe Scotland would be ran into the ground with their ineptitude and anyone with a half decent salary would be taxed into either leaving that job or leaving the country. The SNP can’t run the country now whilst being propped up by Westminster I shudder to think of their abject failure yet still finding a way to blame the English. 

No thank you. I’d only vote for independence if the SNP disbanded in its entirety afterwards and handed stewardship over to an unaffiliated group/party. The roadmap the SNP have planned holds no water and is a Pipe Dream for Braveheart Chest Beaters like yourself. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

What would be your odds and timeframe predictions then Jules?

Its all very well saying you’d advocate for it - when do you see it coming down to dates?

Betting's for mugs. And how do we predict when there would be a votre for independence? It's a massive Catch 22, Westminster olnly allows a vote when it thinks or knows it will win. We should set the date for a vote is say 4 years' time. no going back on it. Personaly I'd have one on every general election day.

How utterly ridiculous that Scotland has to ask? And that England can refuse to let us choose? I was borderline for independence but the utter sham of Brexit pushed me over. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, trigger_andy said:

That old chestnut, eh? It’s been done to death so I’ll not waste much time in it. But for me it’s much akin to voting for Putin or Kim Jung-Un to deliver a result we wanted to only find out after that there is simply not another party to vote for. It would be generations before another party could rival the SNP and by then I believe Scotland would be ran into the ground with their ineptitude and anyone with a half decent salary would be taxed into either leaving that job or leaving the country. The SNP can’t run the country now whilst being propped up by Westminster I shudder to think of their abject failure yet still finding a way to blame the English. 

No thank you. I’d only vote for independence if the SNP disbanded in its entirety afterwards and handed stewardship over to an unaffiliated group/party. The roadmap the SNP have planned holds no water and is a Pipe Dream for Braveheart Chest Beaters like yourself. 

I am reminded that you are unable to hold a discussion without resorting to antagonism. I am not a braveheart chest beater, you don't know me, and I have no intention of wasting another moment of my time on you. I will stick to discussing tree issues. Try it some time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, daltontrees said:

I am reminded that you are unable to hold a discussion without resorting to antagonism. I am not a braveheart chest beater, you don't know me, and I have no intention of wasting another moment of my time on you. I will stick to discussing tree issues. Try it some time.

Well I found this comment intentionally antagonistic. ''People who don't vote for independence because they don't like the SNP or Sturgeon are short-sighted beyond belief." Dont like an antagonistic comment then dont dish them out then get you panties in a bunch when you get one back. Its a fairly simple concept. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sime42 said:

Old Jimmy Krankie was on the radio at lunchtime today actually. I think she was chatting some sense about the Ukrainian situation and the ensuing refugee crisis.

We've only accepted a meer 50 of the 1.5 or so million so far. Confusion and excessive bureaucracy in the visa process are impeding things. Not very good really is it? The rest of Europe are just accepting 10s or 100s of thousands of people as they're clearly in desperate need.

Forty-five minutes of news, analysis and comment, with Sarah Montague

Speaking to 2 of the Ukrainian officers from the vessel im on regularly “who after nearly 10 years of working with I consider good friends” they look upon getting family across into the nearest possible safe country as a temporary measure . Drive across the border to a neighbouring country or cross half off Europe to get to the UK !! the numbers are always gonna be way out. Sturgeon should concentrate on sorting out the mess the last 14 years of snp governance has caused before passing comment on anything else. She could start with the high  drug death statistics. Before you comment I’ll let you know I’ve offered both the Ukrainian guys I know onboard  a place to stay with their family if it comes to that and financial assistance if required. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

I’ve offered both the Ukrainian guys I know onboard  a place to stay with their family if it comes to that and financial assistance if required. 

I can only say "Fair play to you Sir"

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, roboted said:

I can only say "Fair play to you Sir"

These guys are genuine decent people, many of whom grew up under the soviet yoke. To be honest they tend to have a better work ethic and more grounded traditional attitude than a lot of the brits I work with. What you see is what you get ie no bullshit. As is the case with most on the forum there is more to people than the bollocks we tend to post on here. 

• Like 6

Speaking to 2 of the Ukrainian officers from the vessel im on regularly “who after nearly 10 years of working with I consider good friends” they look upon getting family across into the nearest possible safe country as a temporary measure . Drive across the border to a neighbouring country or cross half off Europe to get to the UK !! the numbers are always gonna be way out. Sturgeon should concentrate on sorting out the mess the last 14 years of snp governance has caused before passing comment on anything else. She could start with the high  drug death statistics. Before you comment I’ll let you know I’ve offered both the Ukrainian guys I know onboard  a place to stay with their family if it comes to that and financial assistance if required. 
Good man. Respect where respect is due.
Hopefully they can navigate the tangled bureaucracy if they do ever need to take you up on the offer.
  • Like 1

Have this for context, hundreds turned up at Calais to get over here, they were told to go to Paris to get their papers sorted... only a 600km round journey when they've been tramping for days on end.
I've heard people being told that they need to go back into the centre of Kyiv, (or some other besieged city), to get the biometric checks done, having already struggled to get out of the city to relative safety.

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

"No visa for at least another week," said Misha, simply. "No-one can help us in Calais."