Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

1 hour ago, matelot said:

This has to be the first time in history that people from failed cultures have been allowed to move to succesful countries and been given free money and houses... 

It isn't.  The concept of political asylum was codified in law by the Kingdom of Kent about 1500 years ago, but refugees have been accepted throughout the world for almost as long as we have written records.  More recently, England/UK has provided for Jews in the late 1930s, Russians in 1917, Belgians in 1914, Huguenots in the 16th-18th centuries.

And, for a bit of proportionality... UK homes fewer than 2 refugees for every 1,000 inhabitants.  USA, less than 1.  Lebanon, over 200.

13 minutes ago, matelot said:

The thing is any debate on immigration has been shouted down as "racist" by people like you. I think it's now inevitable that the extreme right wing will be elected into political office all over Europe. Your side of the debate could have listened to the concerns of the electorate. However you decided to shout them down as "racists" and ignore their concerns.

Nice one Mark. 

That's a load of bollocks.  I'm open to talks on immigration, I believe that it's an issue that needs to be resolved one way or another.  I  think that a points system is the way to go.  I do think that refugees should always be an exception to immigration rules though.

The thing is, you don't do yourself any favours by shouting about racist, when you are in fact, an actual racist.  As shown by your suggestion that you poison food aid with drugs to sterilise the recipients of said aid.

17 minutes ago, matelot said:

Sorry, I think it's you that believes in a bunch of fairytales. You think bringing some of the most violent people on earth into Europe is a good idea. You're absolutedly deluded but you can't see it!

You are absolutely impossible to have a proper conversation with.

You constantly say I am thinking things that I absolutely do not think and then you call me deluded for thinking them!?

How can one possibly work with that?

2 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

You are absolutely impossible to have a proper conversation with.

You constantly say I am thinking things that I absolutely do not think and then you call me deluded for thinking them!?

How can one possibly work with that?

He knows how 'people like you' think.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, arbogrunt said:

Should we be encouraging more young Britons to be Doctors and Nurses?...YES.
In the meantime, should we encourage qualified migrants to fill the shortfall?....YES

The problem here is that the "meantime" might be a very long time indeed!

7+ years to become a doctor, paid for mainly by the Department of Health, at which point the newly trained doctor has everything they need to leave the NHS for a better paid private job, here or in the USA.

3+ years to become a nurse, paid for largely by the student, at which point a difficult, stressful and dangerous career that pays slightly below the national average wage.

Given that our health bill is rising so much quicker than our economy is growing, I can't see us investing anything like what is needed to replace the migrant workforce with the next 20 years.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, WesD said:

Glad to see you finally did a bit of leg work on your universities, in the internet browser tab ;) 

Seeing as pictures can speak a thousand words, would you care to explain what duck duck inc is and why you choose to use that search engine also what’s the DOBS..... forum your on?

Pictures and words matey boy pictures and words, your not painting yourself in a good picture. 

Shame because you do Talk SOME sense.  

Yeah.... The Times only lists the world's top 1000 universities... Not many Middle Eastern ones on the list...

Duck Duck is a search engine. I use it as it presents images better than google.

dosbods is a forum..... You best not join it ;)

2 minutes ago, onetruth said:

The problem here is that the "meantime" might be a very long time indeed!

7+ years to become a doctor, paid for mainly by the Department of Health, at which point the newly trained doctor has everything they need to leave the NHS for a better paid private job, here or in the USA.

3+ years to become a nurse, paid for largely by the student, at which point a difficult, stressful and dangerous career that pays slightly below the national average wage.

Given that our health bill is rising so much quicker than our economy is growing, I can't see us investing anything like what is needed to replace the migrant workforce with the next 20 years.

It will be a slow process, the NHS is about to change, it will still be free to the end user but the maintenance or non surgical will split from surgical and potentially operate as private companies opening up more streams of income. 

Hospitals and trusts alike will have to operate within a means and budget and make money to manage any deficit. 

22 minutes ago, onetruth said:

It isn't.  The concept of political asylum was codified in law by the Kingdom of Kent about 1500 years ago, but refugees have been accepted throughout the world for almost as long as we have written records.  More recently, England/UK has provided for Jews in the late 1930s, Russians in 1917, Belgians in 1914, Huguenots in the 16th-18th centuries.

In the history of asylum, have many asylum seekers wanted to replicate the same failed cultures that they wanted to escape from? 

22 minutes ago, Mark J said:

The thing is, you don't do yourself any favours by shouting about racist, when you are in fact, an actual racist.  As shown by your suggestion that you poison food aid with drugs to sterilise the recipients of said aid.

You are more racist than me Mark! You're the guy that thinks entire African countries are basket cases that need help from the White Man! 

I think we should respect African independence and leave them to run their own affairs!