Vast amount of Arb timber going spare. Rugby

Joe Newton

For starters trying to shift softwood logs round here is nye on impossible and what you'd get probably wouldn't cover the wages needed to convert such mixed size arb waste, also included all the nasty bits of hardwood it's just not worth chewing on with to split and all the rotten stuff no one else wants,I did cut some larch logs out of the heap with the palax but only nice easy stuff for myself to mix in for early autumn and spring burns.

Simply put my turnover would have potentially been more in logs but profit was definitely better in chip just simply in time saving so by lunchtime everything was done and I was off to another job and the next day everything was sold where logs it'd have been best part of a week for a man on splitter then no guarantee it'd sell till winter then probably in dribs.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not consider getting a big chipper in and turn it into a salable product, did our heap which wasn't a patch on yours in 2.5hrs and got 90m3 of good quality biomass which I sold 60 for nearly 500quid as biomass and 20odd for play parks on 2 stattic caravan sites we were working on at 80 for 6m3 ifor load, money for old rope if you ask me

How much was the big chipper to hire in?

How much was the big chipper to hire in?

That's complicated to add a value to as I help the owner out when he's stuck for an operator in exchange for use of the machine on odd jobs.

If anyone is interested in the machine working for them it's busy daddy's on here so worth speaking to him as it's incredibly productiv on both biomass timber and whole trees for site clearance work.

1468779094550.jpg.517442b88dc4c1468a57fe880e7b3a4a.jpg

I asked a local heizo biomass chipper to come and blitz the several hundred tonne in my yard backalong - they refused as they said rings just explode in the feed roller/s and cause damage; we are talking softwood to oak - the knarly old oak rings are average 2' dia. Every time I look at that pile it winds me up.

I asked a local heizo biomass chipper to come and blitz the several hundred tonne in my yard backalong - they refused as they said rings just explode in the feed roller/s and cause damage; we are talking softwood to oak - the knarly old oak rings are average 2' dia. Every time I look at that pile it winds me up.

That's tosh, it won't produce as good chip as it's cleaving bigger chunks off the side rather then off the end grain but I've never seen a ring explode and as for causing damage have you ever seen how well built these machines need to be to cope with being fed by a crane all day.

More likely they didn't have the skills to feed arb waste effectively as gathering up mixed shortwood and rings takes good control and more patience than just grabbing 2.5m + cordwood.

That's complicated to add a value to as I help the owner out when he's stuck for an operator in exchange for use of the machine on odd jobs.

If anyone is interested in the machine working for them it's busy daddy's on here so worth speaking to him as it's incredibly productiv on both biomass timber and whole trees for site clearance work.

Fair enough.

If you did have "pay" for it though it would presumably make the numbers stack up slightly differently?

That's tosh, it won't produce as good chip as it's cleaving bigger chunks off the side rather then off the end grain but I've never seen a ring explode and as for causing damage have you ever seen how well built these machines need to be to cope with being fed by a crane all day.

More likely they didn't have the skills to feed arb waste effectively as gathering up mixed shortwood and rings takes good control and more patience than just grabbing 2.5m + cordwood.

I watched them chipping larch roundwood a while ago - the fines were way too much. Poor chipper maintenance?

Fair enough.

If you did have "pay" for it though it would presumably make the numbers stack up slightly differently?

Na would have still been worth it, don't quot me on it but should have been about 200 ish but how people charge for part days varies so much it's hard to say.

I watched them chipping larch roundwood a while ago - the fines were way too much. Poor chipper maintenance?

Too drier timber or stuff that's slightly turned due to being standing dead or windblow can cause a lot of fines as can badly set up machine.

Species can make a vast difference as well western red will produce a lot more fluff than pine and Spruce chips finer than larch, even the size of the timber can alter how it is presented to the drum and the size/quality of the chip.