Any advice?

MattJordan

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you suspect the above is the case word your receipts `wages received` but regardless stay calm and professional and polite ... your paths may cross again in your profession

If he has paid you under the minimum wage, he has the choice of admitting it or back paying your tax and NI contributions. You, however, have the perfect defence in that seeing as you received less than minimum wage for the hours you worked, you automatically assumed he was making the necessary deductions from your wages :001_cool:

At the point you give him a reciept for the payments you are then responsible to make these payments to HMRC.

Thats not right mate, the tax man will see it that the 'employer' will have to pay any outstanding tax.

Matt ask him why he needs (not wants) the receipts, if you have solely worked for him he is responsible for any tax or NI that should have been paid plus if he has paid you less than minimum wage he is really fecked.

Dont worry about stuff like this, sounds like you have done nothing wrong but it is obvious a one sided story atm.

Get some legal advice first ,ive met people like your boss in different guises all my life,call his bluff dont give him anything tell him to take you to court,end of the day its only money and from what your saying not very much,but let him do the chasing youve done nothing wrong,it sounds like he realises hes made a mistake letting you go,but wont admit hes wrong instead hes behaving like an asshole,remember there always a higher power that bosses like him have to answer to called the legal system ,if he pushes it go the legal route if its like you say i dont recon youll have a problem mate,and good luck finding new employment,ps i did like mozzas train of thought,but go to a solicitor first.

i will not take sides as i dont know the full story. It sounds like he is bullying you as he is annoyed and stressed. you have let him walk over you before so he isnt used to it, at least you can ask advice here, years ago i would just have to sit in my bedroom terrified about going back to work and couldnt tell anyone. Threatening folk isnt acceptable and the fct that he is a grown man and you are a youngster makes it worse. simply think back to when he paid you and for how many hrs. write it on a bit of paper and sign it simple. if he is stupid enough to think that the tax man will find this acceptable if he is ever investigated then more fool him. Dont worry and dont rehearse all the bad things that you think MIGHT happen, because they wont. If you feel threatened then dont bottle it up or hide away from it, that is the worst thing you can do. I know the horrible feeling you probably have in your stomach well, it isnt nice and it does make you worry. But you dont need to, any man that threatens a child(dont take this wrong) is a coward. If you are really concerned and ytou think he may do something then go and see the police, he is relying on your fear and his intimidation.

SWB knows what he's talking about.

Listen - you're in a bad spot at the moment, but it's only for the moment. You'll fall out the back of this predicament soon hopefully.

You've done the right thing to raise the problem here on this forum. I reckon the combined wisdom of the people here will provide all the advice and support you'll need.

Next time you're talking to this guy, remember he's the one who seems to have the problem - not you. Look at him straight - speak your mind - and let him come up with his own solution.

Edited by WeeDee

Thats not right mate, the tax man will see it that the 'employer' will have to pay any outstanding tax.

If he gives him a receipt this may be concived as an invoice, this would then give the argument by the employer that the employee was self employed therefore the employee is liable to make the payments and contributions.

I agree if the employer has no evidence from employee that he is paying his own NI and tax its the employers responsibility to pay it.

Seek professional advice ie solicitor or lawyer they usually do a first half hour free or as suggested the citizens advice bureau.

He sounds like a real cracker son you are better out of that situation, if you are going back round take an adult with you ( no offence to your age or maturity) your dad or your uncle and i am sure it will be sorted. Then dust yourself off move on and file it under "life experience" there are plenty more to come.

Good luck.

As has been already said he wants invoices from you so he can use it as tax relief. But really if he was your only employer then it is his responsibility to pay you through the PAYE.

You have nothing to worry about as these days the employer has far more responsibilities than you. I would make notes of when you have any contact with him, the dates and times, what was said by each party and then go to the citizens advice beaureau.

Look around for someone else to work for as there are much better employers around than this fellow.