Any advice?

MattJordan

Now, I do not like to speak badly of anybody, let alone post anything negative on the internet. But I am genuinely worried. :sad:

My previous boss (who shall not be named) took me on for basic work experience last September, this was great news for me as I really needed to clock up the hours in order to pass my course. After working with him for a few weeks he decided I was working hard enough (And owned PPE/Climbing kit) to earn a bit of cash, no major amounts as I was still down for voluntary work exp, not proper employment. Just enough to get me by. All of this was great as I was gaining experience, and had a bit of money in my pocket.

When I began to realise he wasnt paying me on time (weeks late at a time) and a few respectable people I knew told me a few things about this bloke, I got a bit weary, but I carried on as if nothing was happening, as I was in no place to comment. Then when my boss took on a new guy, to run the day to day business functions I really knew something was up. The guy he had hired was sound, and a very capable arborist, who has run his own firm and really was legit. When this guy started pointing things out to me I hadnt noticed previously, because of no experience with any other firm. Things started to turn sour, this guy left after being pushed to far (blunt saws, no petrol, dodgy climbing kit .etc ) Then it was just me and the boss left, after our lead climber left for the same reasons as the other guy. I then worked with the boss for a couple more months, doing a fair bit of climbing and if not, being the only groundsman (with no tickets at this time) either way, working bloody hard. I then quit as the money had stayed the same (a very very small amount), I would be waiting silly amounts of time for money, and just generally feeling used. Admitedly I had very little experience but felt I had learnt alot in my short time and had been told by many people I was undervalued.

So after around 3 months I continued to work for this man as there was no other work around me (that 3 months was filled with job hunting btw) and I desperately needed the dollar. So over this Summer I worked hard for him and received little for it. At the end of August I finally jacked it in as I was told by a few more people some really bad stories about the bloke , aswell as being in the van when we got pulled over and the copper informed the boss of his MOT being months overdue.. So a few more weeks pass and I still have not recieved the rest of my money he owes me ( some months old) My mum takes me their one evening about 4 weeks ago as she was getting annoyed also, He gives me my cheque, in a very heated mannor, and reckons he needs all of the previous receipts from cheques he had given me, and being a teenager, they were long gone! Admitedly not good on my part but he had never told me that he needed them. I recieved the first angry call a fortnight ago, saying he needs them desperately. So I leave a note in a bag along with his work shirt saying sorry I do not have them. He rings me 20 mins ago bellowing down the phone all sorts of threats to me personally, and if he does not have them come Monday "I will see a different side of him" .

Now my question is, why does he need these so desperately? I can understand signing a bit of paper at the end of the day for someone hiring me for the day, but a collection of bank official receipts, which he never wanted before? I was never under any contract of employment or anything so why am I being threatened for them??

Im sorry to write such a long rant but I am really in a tight spot. I would appreciate any feedback, even if it is negative to me. I probably deserve it after being so cheeky about someone over the internet. Thanks in advance, Matt.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite sure if i have the right end of the stick here, but I assume he wants reciepts/invoices from you for the payments he has made to you as a self employed subcontractor?

Of course, if you have been working for him regular hours then you should have been on the books, paid PAYE and he would have been responsible for paying your income tax and national insurance contributions to HMRC. Without receipts from you, he cant show where the money he has paid you has gone.

He needs the receipts because he wants to claim your wage against tax. You don't say how much you were paid, if its below minimum wage he is in trouble. You could always tell him this. It is also illegal for him to employ you as self employed if you do not work for anyone else as well.

You may have been exploited, but you have gained some experience which will help you get your foot in the door with your next employer.:thumbup1:

First of all, commiserations on getting involved with someone like that. I know from personal experience how difficult a situation it is, and it always seems unfair when it's you that ends up out of work because of it. It sounds to me like either the taxman is nipping at his heels or he is getting close to the self assessment deadline and is panicking. If you are that concerned about receipts, just trawl back through your bank statements but when you write him a receipt, put down the hours you worked for it too. Looking to the future, plug yourself on here and go for any jobs available when you see them. Good luck mate :001_cool:

Aye, it seems as others have said that he'll be feeling pressure from somewhere else and wants proof you were working for him, Did HE pay your tax or was it all cash in hand???

As for the threats, If he carrys on with them tell him to come and see you face to face, if he starts giving agro, have a claw hammer ready, if he really gets aggresive, smash him in the face with the claw hammer, Im sorry if this sounds drastic but i HATE threats and in my past and personal experience of being threatend you fight fire with fire, It sounds to me that hes trying to bully you because your younger than him, Which imo is extremely out of order. Dont get me wrong you yourself maybe know angel, i dont know you, but i cant be doing with being idle threats, Just my opinion

i will not take sides as i dont know the full story. It sounds like he is bullying you as he is annoyed and stressed. you have let him walk over you before so he isnt used to it, at least you can ask advice here, years ago i would just have to sit in my bedroom terrified about going back to work and couldnt tell anyone. Threatening folk isnt acceptable and the fct that he is a grown man and you are a youngster makes it worse. simply think back to when he paid you and for how many hrs. write it on a bit of paper and sign it simple. if he is stupid enough to think that the tax man will find this acceptable if he is ever investigated then more fool him. Dont worry and dont rehearse all the bad things that you think MIGHT happen, because they wont. If you feel threatened then dont bottle it up or hide away from it, that is the worst thing you can do. I know the horrible feeling you probably have in your stomach well, it isnt nice and it does make you worry. But you dont need to, any man that threatens a child(dont take this wrong) is a coward. If you are really concerned and ytou think he may do something then go and see the police, he is relying on your fear and his intimidation.

As for the threats, If he carrys on with them tell him to come and see you face to face, if he starts giving agro, have a claw hammer ready, if he really gets aggresive, smash him in the face with the claw hammer,

:thumbdown: Not good advice, in my view!!!:thumbdown:

:thumbdown: Not good advice, in my view!!!:thumbdown:

No, i dont think anyone else on here will ever give out that advice, Nor do i expect them too, Id like to point out that its not the view of the forum its my own personal feeling, I went threw years of being threatend and bullied as teenager and one day finally stood up for myself and it REALLY gets me when i here storys like this, Maybe i shouldnt of wrote what i wrote but i cant hide my feelings when it comes to this subject

Matt, really sorry to hear that. But as far as i can see you've done nothing wrong. If i was you i would try and give him the info he wants to the best of your ability, take note of the good advice above. But when you do give him the recipts make sure it is clear that are doing so as you have gained a lot of experince (i hope he has passed lloads of bad drills), not because of his threats - i have no time threats. But also try not loose your rag or more importantly back down. If it looks like you're about to done over, inform the police- i don't know how old you are, but if your under 18, he could be properly turned over.

Good luck, chin up, it won't be long until you can have a beer and a good giggle over this!