RW and Zigzag

So, clipping into the bow shackle on my ZZ has some really horrible alignment issues. Not just keep the krab aligned on the correct axis (preventing crossloading) but also the orientation is then 90 degrees out so the spine (or the gate) is hitting the ZZ, rather than being parallel to it. 

Since my rope has now spliced end (due to a mishap!) its actually better to ties it off on the bow shackle. PITA but works ok, and can be threaded through the wrench to help keep that out of the way. So rope goes thorough the wrench, through the shackle, back through the wrench and then tied off abover the wrench so the know is out of the way as well. 

Works ok but messy. 

Moving forwards with a HC today as I understand all concerns with the ZZ. Its ok and nice for short climbs, but never feels that safe. 

On 1/8/2018 at 15:32, Marksquirrell said:

Just got myself a wrench and using it with my Zigzag. There’s almost too much friction being produced by the wrench making it difficult to operate the Zigzag.

Any ideas?

depends on what rope you are using - but sometimes it needs a bit of a pull or to disengage the RW to get going. 

After 18 months of trying differnet stuff, swtiching from SRT to DRT on the same line - i have found it best to have one line for SRT and just take up my DRT line or have it sent up if i plan to switch or just install it as an emergency access. This is great on big jobs as if i swtich to DRT I can leave the SRT line in place and just climb back to it and use it as a pissstop / tea's up elevator.  

Nice Rupe.

How are you getting on in general with the SRT positioning?  

I found at first, i was just using it for access and doing the odd bit on the way up.  Once up top a quick changeover to what I was going see to and crack on.

One day About 3 years ago I ordered a BDB and decided (even though it can be used doubled rope style) that I was just gonna ditch the hitch and climb single line.  It took a while and was frustrating at first but the more you climb the more it became second nature.  Now when I get up a big tree and  it is a DDRt climb I am as lost as I was when I started SRT.

Apart from small fruit trees,  95% of climbs are SRT these days.

I wouldn't say it is quicker, apart from the ascent of course.  I will say though that I have more energy left at the end of the day.

23 hours ago, Rich Rule said:

Nice Rupe.

How are you getting on in general with the SRT positioning?  

I found at first, i was just using it for access and doing the odd bit on the way up.  Once up top a quick changeover to what I was going see to and crack on.

One day About 3 years ago I ordered a BDB and decided (even though it can be used doubled rope style) that I was just gonna ditch the hitch and climb single line.  It took a while and was frustrating at first but the more you climb the more it became second nature.  Now when I get up a big tree and  it is a DDRt climb I am as lost as I was when I started SRT.

Apart from small fruit trees,  95% of climbs are SRT these days.

I wouldn't say it is quicker, apart from the ascent of course.  I will say though that I have more energy left at the end of the day.

Hi Rich

I don't think I'm there yet. Mostly using it for ascent. Used a hitch today and thats all good so will stick to that now I think. 

Last week I was base tying and ascending and mostly staying on SRT to remove limbs in corsicans and major deadwood off the trunk on way down, so not really much moving side to side to do.

This week the trees are more complex so I went straight to Ddrt when I got to the TIP. I have figured out advancing to the TIP with srt, quite easy really, and in those cases I just tie off on my throw in point, or base tie with a separate rope so the end of my line as at the top, I can then untie it, and drop the base tie line and continue SRT to the TIP, then mostly set it to Ddrt. 

So, lots to do. I need to master various other tie offs, top and base, and get to know which one to use in which situation. 

For Access though I have it nailed. Faster than I could ever footlock except for the set up time which can be longer as I always go back to the truck for something!! Chest harness usually but I'll get better organised. 

• Like 2