Cricket bat willow

Badgerland

Evening All

Hoping somebody might be able to help me source some cricket bat willow. Not after a huge amount, and it doesn't have to be particularly large. Ideally I want some slats about 8mm thick or billets which I can saw down myself.

I make a type of basket based on a traditional west country design and I've found cricket bat willow is ideal. (Hopefully there should be a photo here of what they're like!)

597671446d33a_bramletbasketswithautumnproduce.jpg.bfb0801a752a41f13e49e4726d24fa1d.jpg

I've just tried J S Wrights in Essex but they want to charge me a ridiculous amount for delivery which makes the deal uneconomic.

Oh yeah, and it doesn't need to be green as I season it before working it down anyway.

I'm based in mid-Wilts so local would be great, but if not then happy to arrange collection.

Thanks

Dave

Evening All

I've just tried J S Wrights in Essex but they want to charge me a ridiculous amount for delivery which makes the deal uneconomic.

Delivery will be the problem, the waste heap at the cricket bat maker by Roberstbridge station TN32 5DH would have all you need but probably too far, my mate ran the last batch through the chipper for biomass.

I've got willow but how do you want it ??

Hello Bird

The quote I got from Wrights was for 100 no. approx 8mm slats x 36 inch x 4 inch. So that would be okay. Or, depending on what machinery you have to hand then could be as 4 x 4 inch 36 inch and I can run it through my bandsaw myself.

Could you do either of these? and if so how much would you charge?

I see you're in Norfolk, so delivery might be an issue. Any ideas how much it would be?

Thanks

Dave

Delivery will be the problem, the waste heap at the cricket bat maker by Roberstbridge station TN32 5DH would have all you need but probably too far, my mate ran the last batch through the chipper for biomass.

Thanks Openspaceman.

I've got a brother not a million miles from there, so it might be a way of combining a brotherly visit with doing some business as well. I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

Cheers

Dave

...Gray Nicolls!

Evening All

Hoping somebody might be able to help me source some cricket bat willow. Not after a huge amount, and it doesn't have to be particularly large. Ideally I want some slats about 8mm thick or billets which I can saw down myself.

I make a type of basket based on a traditional west country design and I've found cricket bat willow is ideal. (Hopefully there should be a photo here of what they're like!)

[ATTACH]206983[/ATTACH]

Oh yeah, and it doesn't need to be green as I season it before working it down anyway.

I'm based in mid-Wilts so local would be great, but if not then happy to arrange collection.

Thanks

Dave

If you're in Wiltshire you could try our local estate , we cut some several years ago which we were told was destined for Pakistan. Pm me if you want contact details we are near Salisbury.

If you have bat willows near you every chance Wright's contractors will be felling them any way because they get willow from every were even though they are based in Essex . The company that fells 99% of there trees is based near me and they cut all over the place. So your best bet is to find out when any are being cut and get it then as the just burn everything apart from the butt.