What is the best way to prevent tree roots lifting block paving

benedmonds

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TBH, looking at the front of the property I am astonished that the trees lasted as long as they did, with soil compaction over the years. Florida Slash Pines would have given up the goat long before any maturity could or would have been enjoyed. Better choices should have been made for tree selection, someone has to clean up the mess or polish the turd sooner or later.

easy-lift guy

TBH, looking at the front of the property I am astonished that the trees lasted as long as they did, with soil compaction over the years. Florida Slash Pines would have given up the goat long before any maturity could or would have been enjoyed. Better choices should have been made for tree selection, someone has to clean up the mess or polish the turd sooner or later.

easy-lift guy

British trees are a lot hardier than their American counterparts! :eek: :P

I have a client with a block paving drive. The TPO'd trees are disrupting their block paving. What is the best way to redo the drive and prevent it happening again?

My initial thoughts were to use a cellular confinement system, such as cell web that should create a void?.. Any thoughts..?

Due to its surroundings, doing anything to the roots could cause you, the landowner or the public problems in the future. Is it an option to narrow the driveway? It looks deep enough to take a few tons of stone /gravel but not great for compaction, or just lift the affected area & relay the paving... Every couple of years

I have a client with a block paving drive. The TPO'd trees are disrupting their block paving. What is the best way to redo the drive and prevent it happening again?

My initial thoughts were to use a cellular confinement system, such as cell web that should create a void?.. Any thoughts..?

Sat I truck waiting for a grab loader to arrive...so kill bit of time to answer. First thing to do is price for lifting all block paving to 2mtrs beyond were blocks are lifting then scrap back all sharp sand and sub base using shovels and not mini digger.

Expose root system and see what size roots are which are causing the problem then either take pics and send to the TPO officer and or get she or he to come round and have a look.

It may be that you mite be able to remove and or reduce offending roots and or roots.. But bear in mind this process may have to be repeated again in years to come.

Not saying this is the correct procedure....just its what I would do and have done in the past...the cover for you is pics before and after and tree officer notified and involved.

Agreed. But I'd need to see the whole tree in context to really pass opinion.

I guess one could argue that block paving was a poor decision and shingle would have been better.

"Mr Dempsey" as pragmatic as always...agreed (and, of course, shingle could still be an option, if only in that area affected) :thumbup1:

Cheers..

Paul

Lift the block and put down gravel!

Agreed. I find it annoying that everyone goes straight for the tree being at fault. In all honesty when those trees were planted I doubt there was any block paving down.

So the way I see it the tree was there first. Yes it's annoying having to find a solution rather than take the tree down and move on. But as Stephen said gravel is an option and a long term solution. It shouldn't have an impact on the roots to much as what was previously there would weight near the same.

Lift the block and put down gravel!

That's just what I was thinking!

If the client wants to keep block paving, I think that all that can be done is to lift the pavers in the affected areas, prune back the roots nearest the surface and re-lay the blocks.

Wait a few years and repeat.

Wait a few more years and repeat.