Akimbo

I have to agree with all of the above.

I tried my velocity today because I thought the thinner diameter would be better. It was slightly better, but it was damp so basically it was rubbish.

It hurts my hand to get the thing to release, sometimes having to pull with both hands. And also having to be careful not to pull too hard and end up going for a metre or so drop.

It was slightly better the other week when it was nice and dry, but far from perfect. The adjustment doesn't really help. I've had it on slack as possible which is too hard to pull open to get going down. Tightened up until it's too tight to move at all. There's no in between.

I thought today, a way to improve it would be to make the top arm longer, so as to give more leverage to the pull. Or something like that anyway.

Was thinking the same about the handle , I can get it to tend well on cougar but it's a mare to release ! I think the more the cams are open the harder it bites and makes releasing difficult and when it does its fast !maybe why the thinner ropes seem to work better? If you try it on its widest setting on a thin rope it still grabs it.

Still prefer it to any other mechanical I've tried though.

Either of you two had a problem with the device locking up?

It happens for me as I tried to fully open the arms and set the Akimbo for installing on the rope.the. Ottom arm keeps getting stuck just short of fully open and then I cannot move it either way.

I am assuming it is just tree gunk from trying it on a non sunny, drizzly day.

I would say gunk or Debris mate.

It grabs the rope with out fail, can't fault it for that ! I was trying extra short cord on the wrench and hated it before I went on the akimbo but been in the woods for the last week so it's hard to make any new comparisons.

Yes same thing I noticed the other day. It was still dirty from a wet day last week. Hot soapy wash and it was nice and smooth again and opened nicely.

I think it needs to be designed for up to 13mm and then it might be better for stuff like 11.3-11.7. It would probably be the same problem for 13mm then but that doesn't bother me I don't and probably won't ever use it.

I have to say, after been so excited about its potential for over a year, I'm going to go back to the runner or bone pretty soon. There seems to be plenty of people desperate to buy the akimbo!!

I believe what may be happening is the top arm is over centering on a straight line as measured from the climbers weight and the plumb line above the device. When fully weighted the rope becomes stiff, and it is had to unbend the top bend in the rope until it gets past the centerline.