Akimbo

Al, the BDB always worked well for me and I love its simplicity; but even though I have not heard anyone having issue with them, the potential of having one of the cut chain links come under load in an unsupported position, always bugged me.

The way the Akimbo opens to accept the rope and then fully locks is pure genius. I have also been able to get smoother, more consistent overall performance with the Akimbo. It has a great deal of adjustability which makes it more hitch-like than any full mechanical tool I have tried. Consequently though, it will take some experimenting, by the individual climber, to get things just right. Climbers need to remember how many times they had to adjust something on their current system to get it to where it is. This GoFundMe version will take some time to break-in. The anodizing on the cams does not have the same frictional coefficient as the bare aluminum will have when it wears off.

I believe that the Akimbo is a huge advancement in climbing tool design.

Edited by D Mc

Hey Dave, thanks for the tip, seem to have a the right setting on the htp now after tweaking today. but theres still quite a bit of rope drag. On the cougar Ive been using the widest setting on the bottom and one in from the widest on the top. That performs reasonably well but I cant go any wider on the bottom and I'm still getting rope drag. It's still improving as it wears in still for me.

It doesn't self tend well enough for my taste. I'm also getting a lot of rope drag when I limbwalk if the tail is deflected rather than directly below me. The worse the deflection the worse the drag. I've asked the inventor Jaime to send me some weaker springs for the top cam. I'm hoping this will help with both issues.

What devices have you been using prior to the Akimbo Ben?

RR? BDB? Etc?

Thanks.

Ive tried them all and used all of them extensively except the runner and a zig zag paired with a wrench. BDB is my favourite all round tool. Although I do love the ultimate self tending lushness of the Uni.