From TD5 to V8 ?

Pinkfoot

There was a bobtail Range Rover classic over our 4x4 club for years and it never eat any gearboxes or axels and it was being used pritty hard, the power of the thing was amazing but there's also a guy who's got a bobtail Range Rover with full 80 series running gear it's not a V8 it's the 4.2 straght six

My landcruiser was petrol 4.7 V8 in my opinion it pisses over any Landrover / Range Rover but Putting a landcruiser running gear in wont be cheep

If you are going to tow, or work the vehicle regularly it will make short work of the transmision ,this from a very well experienced landy conversion company.

I think it would prove an expensive conversion to run on a vehicle used comercially, what is wrong with the td5, they run well with servicing, and keeping an eye on a couple of things that are known, just like most motors.:001_smile:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a cracked head it was probably down on power so with a bit of a rebuild and service you may be surprised. From my experience the heads are more likely to crack if the engine has been modified / chipped . The td5 sounds like it is being thrashed but that engine loves revving even if it sounds a bit harsh very little power below 2000 rpm. If you want a four litre lump in a 4x4 go four an Amazon they are designed to carry the weight up front.

:biggrin:

Susan Boyle sounds nice to, but you would need a cracked head if you swapped to her. ..

I personally would get the td5 fixed by someone in the know on these motors.

I do like the Td5 , it is a good engine and it has a little red box attached to the ecu , it was there when I bought it.

Turner do a Spanish head without the head problems , so I will likely get that rather than a Boyled head.

I do a bit of heavy towing and it is good at that ,a V8 conversion would cost as much too .

I will keep you informed of progress.

Cheers.

With a cracked head it was probably down on power so with a bit of a rebuild and service you may be surprised. From my experience the heads are more likely to crack if the engine has been modified / chipped . The td5 sounds like it is being thrashed but that engine loves revving even if it sounds a bit harsh very little power below 2000 rpm. If you want a four litre lump in a 4x4 go four an Amazon they are designed to carry the weight up front.

Nothing wrong with the GM v8 petrol or diesel conversions, it needs to go in on a proper bellhousing and piped up to a decent four core rad, the engine sits back properly and runs a mechanical fan. The running gear needs to be under 300,000 miles old and there are no problems. The pisspoor adaptor plates were the main problem, pushing the engine forward so it needed leccy fans and the plates being badly misalligned causing gearbox issues. All conversions are not equal :)

Bob

Here`s one

000_0150.jpg

Edited by aspenarb

If you are going to tow, or work the vehicle regularly it will make short work of the transmision ,this from a very well experienced landy conversion company.

I think it would prove an expensive conversion to run on a vehicle used comercially, what is wrong with the td5, they run well with servicing, and keeping an eye on a couple of things that are known, just like most motors.:001_smile:

I think you'd be surprised at how much torque the GMC engines have and would make light work of the heaviest loads, hence never struggling or being over worked if I was looking for bags of cheep power in a Landrover this is probably pound of pound the best option, not sure on the MPG

I think you'd be surprised at how much torque the GMC engines have and would make light work of the heaviest loads, hence never struggling or being over worked if I was looking for bags of cheep power in a Landrover this is probably pound of pound the best option, not sure on the MPG

So what sort of money is one of these kits?

New Td5 cylinder der head is around £1000

where has head cracked is it between the valves or is it leaking diesel into engine oil from crack in fuel gallery,as there is a lad in lincolnshire that welds the gallery crack, he did mine 3yrs ago and still working hard pulling fully loaded I/W most days