Stihl 2 stroke oil

stihlmadasever

This is where battery alternatives hopefully become more mainstream.

I have rebuilt my 357xp due to an air leak, and now my dealer says here in Ireland, our petrol is of poor quality and is causing problems with the auto tunes.

Considering they now advise using an oil that is more expensive, I don't think I'll be buying an auto tune any time soon. It's not like running s saw is cheap on a daily basis. All those 50p's add up.

I'd imagine there is good mark up on 2 stroke oil?

Revisiting the 50p per day that's 2.50 per week, or €100 per year (say 200 days per year) above regular oil.

I'd rather run older more reliable saws, than chase the dream of the new offerings.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is where battery alternatives hopefully become more mainstream.

I have rebuilt my 357xp due to an air leak, and now my dealer says here in Ireland, our petrol is of poor quality and is causing problems with the auto tunes.

Considering they now advise using an oil that is more expensive, I don't think I'll be buying an auto tune any time soon. It's not like running s saw is cheap on a daily basis. All those 50p's add up.

I'd imagine there is good mark up on 2 stroke oil?

Revisiting the 50p per day that's 2.50 per week, or €100 per year (say 200 days per year) above regular oil.

I'd rather run older more reliable saws, than chase the dream of the new offerings.

Full time cutters around here are burning 10L fuel a day in there new "fuel" efficient saws ! works out at £1.50 extra a day £1.50 x 5 x 48 = £360 , big chunk to pay for chains ect .

What quantities do you sell it in Jon?

I've a few bottles left, but they're something daft like 473ml!

I can only get it in those USA bottles where they mix it by the ounce ! I decant it into a measuring bottle with the graduations on the side . Each graduation is for 5liters of fuel . I mix my Red Line with Aspen 4 at 50:1 .

Full time cutters around here are burning 10L fuel a day in there new "fuel" efficient saws ! works out at £1.50 extra a day £1.50 x 5 x 48 = £360 , big chunk to pay for chains ect .

I'd agree, I was using between 12-20 litres a day with the 395xp. When you consider fuel isn't cheap to begin with; adding 2 stroke, wear and tare all adds up.

When you look at Aspen, it really makes the battery alternatives a consideration.

I often wondered why we don't have more hydraulic saws. Especially for ground work, or one on the back of a chipper?

Yes i sell Aspen synth 2 stroke oil to a few customers requiring Bio oil , i see you sell Echo Power blend ,very high ratings from users in the States .

From my own observations the Bio Synth oils have yet to sway me due to there inability to stave off rust in standing machines .

Interesting, I have read this before as an issue when using fully synthetic oils. Maybe the semi synthetic eg Stihl Super is a reasonable compromise. As it contains, I think, a fuel stabilizer I may give this a go

Interesting, I have read this before as an issue when using fully synthetic oils. Maybe the semi synthetic eg Stihl Super is a reasonable compromise. As it contains, I think, a fuel stabilizer I may give this a go

I am no chemical expert but i think that the rust inhibitors used in Dino oil are not very Bio friendly , Middle of the road Stihl HP Super or LS have given no issues to me or my customers so i will stick with them .

Where was that ? best price I can find is about £40 for 5l of the green.

HP Super (semi) and HP Ultra (fully syn) are both green so perhaps the latter you see?

Both are FD. I don't endorse semi-synthetic in 4-stroke applications but for a 2-stroke is quite acceptable given the charge exchange rate. I'd like to know what group basestock the HP Ultra has; won't be group 5 that's for sure. PAO at best I'd imagine.