new starter advise

nebie12

Tell me about it! I've managed to get 1 day's experience so far in the last 9 months. Admittedly I work full time so its difficult to be available, but happy to work evenings and weekends to get the experience.

Problem is most of us who are on it all the time avoid weekends unless absolutely necessary or if I am working it tends to be out pricing domestic work to catch people in

Keep at it nd good luck.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi thanks for all advice

outdoor education doesnt pay that well either

so wouldn't just be about money

just would like idea on different aspects re wage to decide what may be best route.

ie climbing might pay the best but might not be for me

cheers

Thanks Gray git!

It may come to the point in not too distant future where I jack work and look for groundy work properly.

I've got 38/39 booked for next month. Might try and find an arb first aid course while I'm waiting.

hi thanks for all advice

outdoor education doesnt pay that well either

so wouldn't just be about money

just would like idea on different aspects re wage to decide what may be best route.

ie climbing might pay the best but might not be for me

cheers

I watched an interesting article about labour movement in Europe a few years ago. It centered on our european counterparts ability to upsticks and move to areas where the work is vs us here in the UK that expect work to come to to our door. Have either of you considered relocating to an area where you could perhaps get work in your chosen field?

One for Stoatally, I had a read of your cv and if you were local to here in Surrey they would all be kicking your door in to give you a job.

Bob

Edit. Stoatally`s work request

NPTC C30/31

Fast and proficient learner

Practical skills including mechanical repair, fabrication, welding and electrical engineering

Agricultural ground working skills including fencing, drainage and tractor driving

Strong time management skills – able to work to deadlines and work flexibly to achieve goals

Punctual

Not afraid of hard work or working at any level

Excellent customer facing skills in all environments

Excellent communication skills at all levels using a variety of methods

Good planning and organisational skills

Able to work at various levels within a team situation, equally able to work autonomously

Full clean pre 1997 driving licence

I can send a CV if there's any interest.

PM me for contact details - email, landline and mobile

Edited by aspenarb

My advice comes from someone who's fairly new to industry after making the same decision. First the best guys in your area to work with and study how they do everything as there is a huge difference in the standards of work between companies in the standards of there work and how safely they work, look at getting as much training as you can not the bare minimum to be able to work in the industry and be sure that your picking the right career as it's a very expensive industry to move into I've spent 10k so far and still got a degree in arboriculture to do at night for the next 3 years. Quality of the gear you buy makes a huge difference in the job to how easy or hard it is I would not trust anyone else's gear on a job but my own, be prepared to be the hardest working guy on any job you do till your proven as this will make you a lot more work, it's amazing how many companies are used to climbers coming down once high work is done and saying thanks where's my coffee and my part is done instead of getting stuck in brashing clearing and finishing off the job and if your prepared to do anything u'll do well and they'll use you over more experienced guys because of your attitude!

My advice comes from someone who's fairly new to industry after making the same decision. First the best guys in your area to work with and study how they do everything as there is a huge difference in the standards of work between companies in the standards of there work and how safely they work, look at getting as much training as you can not the bare minimum to be able to work in the industry and be sure that your picking the right career as it's a very expensive industry to move into I've spent 10k so far and still got a degree in arboriculture to do at night for the next 3 years. Quality of the gear you buy makes a huge difference in the job to how easy or hard it is I would not trust anyone else's gear on a job but my own, be prepared to be the hardest working guy on any job you do till your proven as this will make you a lot more work, it's amazing how many companies are used to climbers coming down once high work is done and saying thanks where's my coffee and my part is done instead of getting stuck in brashing clearing and finishing off the job and if your prepared to do anything u'll do well and they'll use you over more experienced guys because of your attitude!

Good advice... I'd give you a job :thumbup:

Million dollar question:

Qualifications or experience?

One week doing c38 or a week dragging brash? My annual leave is important so I don't want to waste it, especially if I'm having to sacrifice spending time with my wife

Hopefully paying for my own tickets will also show a level of willing to people I talk to about work. Just need to finalise shopping lists. Climbing gear and some better saws. Need a top handle and a mid range saw. I only have a homeowner 135 at the mo.

I like the look of the tree kit first aid course. Wondering if I could persuade swmbo to let me have another day pass to go to Bournemouth.