Old english walnut timber prices.

adbat234

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah- it comes from the root balls.:001_smile: Check out pages 140-141 of 'wildwood-ajourney through trees' by Roger Deakin. A 4000lb root ball from california once made 12000 square feet of veneer, another tree sold from the Sandringham estate was sold for 5k, and converted to veneer becoming worth 50k!

The root ball is not normally a burr, it is highly figured, but not a true burr.

Burr Walnut

i have heard its only worth any thing if you can catch it before it rots and the heart wood is a dark brown blackish colour...walnut is usually a boring white colour , so the process of maturity and decay has to be caught right....this is what i have been told if you have a large trunk thats sound and stained dark it still worth a lot but forget it and sell the root ball to purdy's for shot gun stocks??and its worth more than tripple....this just could be old timber mans and pub talk tales but i have worked for a guy who would not lie about any thing who sold them a walnut off his estate for £5000 in the 70's

The root ball is not normally a burr, it is highly figured, but not a true burr.

Burr Walnut

Haha- yeah, the bit they are really interested in is the bit where it comes out of the ground, a bit hard to be clear from what the book says, but it sounded to me like the same bit as the stocks come from. I was chatting to someone just now on the fone, and i think that my earlier post need a slight correction- the really valuable bit is when a burr occurs from within the root , but just below OR just on ground level, so that the twistiness of the root ball is part burred. I think THAT is what the guy was referring to, not, as you corrctly say Huck, the plain rootball itself.:001_smile:

Haha- yeah, the bit they are really interested in is the bit where it comes out of the ground, a bit hard to be clear from what the book says, but it sounded to me like the same bit as the stocks come from. I was chatting to someone just now on the fone, and i think that my earlier post need a slight correction- the really valuable bit is when a burr occurs from within the root , but just below OR just on ground level, so that the twistiness of the root ball is part burred. I think THAT is what the guy was referring to, not, as you corrctly say Huck, the plain rootball itself.:001_smile:

Yes, I think a burr at the root flair is the "creme de la creme" and very rare.

I felled a walnut tree in an orchard it was DBH 2 foot i ringed it up as i could not do anything with it. The lady in the house phoned her friend a furniture maker and he said he would have paid £6000 for it as a whole trunk she told this to my boss but he agreed with me luckily. The wood was dark brown:001_smile:

I reckon walnut is a poor firewwood and pretty much worthless for anything other than a charitable organisation that mills timber for no profit only the love of looking at beautiful wood !! :001_tt2:

But I am not that organisation and I'll have it if I can organise the transport (and if I can't I'll drive up myself!) Dave (skyhuck) have you still got any yew and do you want to sell it?

I'm suffering withdrawls as I have no interesting wood to mill at the moment...:fisheye: