Chipper and operator hire?

Bennyg

Hi folks, new member so go easy on me. I'm thinking about buying a chipper or a small stump grinder to add to my existing gardening business. I'll be looking to hire out with an operator only as I've heard too many horror stories of idiots breaking tools etc. My question is - is it worth doing without being a tree surgeon? Obviously I'll be spending several thousand so I don't want to buy something that's going to end up a paperweight. Any tips or opinions will be much appreciated. Thanks, Ben

Hi folks, new member so go easy on me. I'm thinking about buying a chipper or a small stump grinder to add to my existing gardening business. I'll be looking to hire out with an operator only as I've heard too many horror stories of idiots breaking tools etc. My question is - is it worth doing without being a tree surgeon? Obviously I'll be spending several thousand so I don't want to buy something that's going to end up a paperweight. Any tips or opinions will be much appreciated. Thanks, Ben

you be better of getting a tracked chipper, more verstile :001_smile:

Tough one, I'd say no, just buying it and hoping to hire it out doesn't sound like a goer to me.

Why not try and get the work yourself? stuff like hedges and small trees you can do yourself, bigger stuff you can hire in a climber.

Edited by Mick Dempsey

Second what Steve said, years ago I got myself a little rg13 while I was still employed and did stumps on a night and weekend which made decent money for the outlay involved, was especially good as no-one else around here had one that could handle restricted access so ended up grinding for other local company's.

Thanks for the responses folks. The only issue I have with advertising for tree work is pricing and timing. As its not my game id end up either over or underpricing - it's good to know your limits! I think the grinder may be the better bet but thought I'd ask the voices of experience. Whichever route I go down I know it'll be a big cost and some headache to begin with like any business but I've got to bite the bullet some time