Woodchipper Hearing Protection

zebedeeclimber

When you are using a Woodchipper what SNR protection do you use? I have been reading an HSE document that recommends SNR30 for most of the Woodchipper models tested.

I notice that many helmets incorporating ear protections seem to have lower ratings - such as the Pfanner Protos which is SNR26. The Husqvarna helmet mounted rated the same.

The 3M Peltor website also shows that protection rating reduces when the device becomes helmet mounted too.

Do you generally use a second set of ear defenders for wood chipping or do you carry on using the ones connected to a climbing helmet that are rated below 30SNR?

Edited by zebedeeclimber

i use 31snr on all my helmets whether it be Climbing or Ground

most chippers are 116-119 DB and 85 being the counting point 85 plus 26 = 111 and 85 plus 31 = 116 you can get higher but gets bulkier

Most Chippers are Recommended to use 31SNR and most companies sell 31 SNR as Chipper Spec one of the reason behind this is most chipper are checked for DB at the point of where the Wood hits the Blades and thats not where we should be ,,, we are approx 1-1,5 mtrs back so by time DB is checked there its at 112-116

at approx 1 mtr from the Feed Hopper a typical Timberwolf for example 190 has dropped 99-105 db which is approx 2 mtrs from flywheel and then drops further u get

Edited by Benny4817

i do try lol we all have knowledge about subjects in life some more than others but ive always said EVERY DAY IS A SCHOOL DAY and if you dont know you ask

but also be careful with choice of helmets as some are only rated for Ground use and not climbing but even a 26snr unless you are going to feed a chipper all the time ie if you are Climber and when you are done you help by dragging to chipper etc as i di as after all if its job and home then why not the exposure is very mininmal so ig you have a chipper person let him chip you drag and place for him

Edited by Benny4817

Not ideal, but as a temporary / occasional measure you could also use 'ear-plugs' inside the ear defenders but having the correct ear-defenders for the task /machine / noise output is important.

With the exception of the reference to 'ear-muffs', an ear-warming fashion item IMHO, rather than ear-defenders, an industrial ear-protection system, this article is quite interesting Ear Plugs vs Ear Muffs - How to Choose Your Ear Protection | | Seton UK

Make sure you choose the correct protection as (noise-induced) hearing loss is a progressive and accumulative industrial disease and damage is usually irreparable.

Cheers :thumbup1:

Paul

• Like 1