Trouble with a sub contractor

daveindales

March ends this friday!!!!:w00t::w00t::w00t:Oh bugger!!!! I thought it was weeks away!!!:001_huh::001_huh::001_huh:

the contractor gets a week to finish it and if not someone else gets a week too and they get paid for what the contractor has already done:001_smile:

You may find it HAS to be invoiced before the end of March rather than finished!

The posts and strainers are the hard bit that takes most of the time!

You still have 2 weeks to go, I feel you are panicking as I would be.

Have a meeting with him, don't threaten him with a fine, that will just put his back up.

Not many other folk like finishing someone else's job either, you are better off with a slow awkward fencer than no fencer!

Think that's a bit of sound advice.

Depending on his gear he used. It was probably the easiest and quickest job to bang posts in. If you want someone else let me know Dave I will put an work request out for professional contractors, probably nearby. Just pm me if needed.

How bigs the job?

Youve got two weeks which is a long time as fencers go.

I am just guessing, but hes probably doing the same as me, making the most of this dry weather and getting all the posts on every job he has to do in the ground. The winter has been shocking from a fencing point of view, have a word with him and find out his plans.

A man by himself taking it easy should be wiring up 300 - 400m by himself in a day, so unless hes got thousands of meters to wire up i wouldnt panic!

Find new fencer...

Git rid of him - regardless.

And then name and shame him in here (They may learn lesson then)........ :evilgrin02:

Know this from personal experience of working WITH a tw** of a fencer back in the 90's. 'We' were always in bother on site because of him messing about.

In the end, I walked off site leaving him on his own on a London site, and was back home in Northumberland within the same day - National Express I thank you...

Will depend on size of the job and type of fencing (is it deer fencing)

But u can soon rattle wire up failry quick, has he posted it too or just strainers

Are the tres in the ground but not fenced off then?

I doubt any reputable fencer would come in to a job that alread has strainers put in, he's putting his reputation on strainers someone else put in? Looks dodgy from both sides. He might wonder why its not finished have u paid fencer etc?

Same as urself i'd imagine doubt u'd readily take on a planting job half done

Wether u use him again is another question but as moores said bet just trying to do as much as possible before weather breaks again

I'm halfway through a planting and fencing contract. The job has to be finished and invoiced by the end of March. I am doing the planting and I've sub contracted the fencing. I am being constantly being fobbed off with one excuse or another by the fencer. He's halfway through the job and is hardly ever on site and even when he is, it's only half a day or so. I don't want to let my client down, but at this rate, the fencers not going to be finished in time. Can I impose a late completion fine or something half way through the job? First time I have used him. Anyone any ideas.

Unless already specified in the contract between you you cannot arbitrarily impose fines or late completion penalties.

I suggest a site meeting with the fencer and an independent witness, get your concerns voiced and get him to explain how he is going to complete the job (or not) in the time available. Do not allow yourself to be "fobbed off" but keep it cool but firm and make it clear that if you are not happy with the response you get then you will be looking at alternatives.

Following on from that meeting you may also wish to discuss the matter with your client and get an understanding of the implications for him if the job is not finished / invoiced on time. it is better to have this discussion before missing the agreed date rather than afterward.

Alternatively can you bring more labour in to complete your side i.e. the planting and take over the fencing yourself if necessary?

Even getting a couple of potential replacements along to discuss the job may get him focussed a bit more on your requirements.

Cheers

mac