Husq 550xp Dud

Mellish

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interestingly - for me anyway ;-) - I looked at the Echo 400. The reviews are mixed. Either 5-stars or 1-star in Amazon, with people complaining of exactly the same thing for this Echo - the piston or cylinder is scored from too-lean a mixture and Echo won't honour the warranty.

Then I came across this gem - you have to mod the Echo carb mix so that it no longer complies with the US EPA laws and so does not run lean and cause the problems others had had. Which I wonder whether is an issue with these 550 XP saws, although I imagine the settings can't be modded with the Husq. Here's the text:

"5.0 out of 5 starsGood saw after a few mods.

ByLaura Allensworthon September 3, 2012

Step one: Go to the Arborists Site Forums and read up on the CS400, and the mods those guys are doing. Pretty much everyone on that site is a pro user or saw addict. You will find that this is a highly respected saw even amoung pros. They all know that Echo's warranty is garbage but many don't care.

Step two: Do the mixture screw stop removal mod before you even start it.

Step three: Start the saw and tune it properly. Arborists Site can help you with this too if you are a complete rookie.

(The EPA has clamped down on 2 cycle emmissions; so many engines come with stops on the mixture screws to keep the user from tuning "too rich" and melting the polar ice caps. My saw was very lean even in warm weather tuned with both needles to the stops. Left alone it would have surely burnt up like so many in these Amazon reviews. I removed the stops and tuned the saw. Viola, she runs perfect.)

Step four: Run the saw and love it.

Step five: After several tanks of fuel consider doing the fabled muffler mod, or "MM" as the guys on the site call it. The CS400 responds very favorbaly to a MM and the new found power will have you looking for saw races with your little sleeper."

• 1 month later...

Sent it to Spudulike and he fixed it - less than the dealers quote and a better job. New piston and barrel, cleaned the carb. Started immediately. Three tanks of work and still blasting through the wood. If you have serious problems with your saw, I can recommend you look him up on this forum.

Sent it to Spudulike and he fixed it - less than the dealers quote and a better job. New piston and barrel, cleaned the carb. Started immediately. Three tanks of work and still blasting through the wood. If you have serious problems with your saw, I can recommend you look him up on this forum.

Thanks Will, glad it all turned out well:thumbup:

Did Steve say what the underlying problem was ?

Then I came across this gem - you have to mod the Echo carb mix so that it no longer complies with the US EPA laws and so does not run lean and cause the problems others had had. Which I wonder whether is an issue with these 550 XP saws, although I imagine the settings can't be modded with the Husq."

Actual reason for Echoes running lean is 5-10% of ethanol in the fuel, although all the Echo engines are factory-adjusted in Japan where they do not use ethanol. Dealers MUST re-adjust them Husky 550XP AFAIR is AutoTune unit, so it re-adjusts the carb itself.