• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Reg,

Congratulations on an amazing job - You've got some incredible videos, and this one is no exception!

The quality of your rigging, and the variety of techniques you have at your disposal is mind boggling. Please keep them coming, and keep up the high standard of work you do.

I have many questions!

In the speedline setup, how were you retrieving the line after each piece was lowered?

I've got to read up on your twin-rope lowering device, but how hard is it for one person to lower both ropes at the same rate? Can wraps be safely dropped from one or both drums while loaded?

How and where are you storing the sheer volume of footage you are gathering? Your helmet cam footage must pile up by the end of the day. Who manages your cameras on the ground? Do these cameras film constantly? Are you editing the videos yourself? (Good clean edits), what are you editing the videos in?

Thanks again

Hi Reg,

Congratulations on an amazing job - You've got some incredible videos, and this one is no exception!

The quality of your rigging, and the variety of techniques you have at your disposal is mind boggling. Please keep them coming, and keep up the high standard of work you do.

Thanks

I have many questions!

In the speedline setup, how were you retrieving the line after each piece was lowered?

Angus, both the speed-line and control/retrieval lines are worked by the one guy on the LD via the twin bollards.

I've got to read up on your twin-rope lowering device, but how hard is it for one person to lower both ropes at the same rate? Can wraps be safely dropped from one or both drums while loaded?

Working both lines is easy enough but on the occasions where we needed it exact we have joined both the lines together via a prussic and then linked the prussic to an additional single line….so instead of having a rope in either hand, the ground-worker works both via the attached single line. See the example video attached. Notice the prussic in the right hand corner of the screen at 17 seconds.

Some good examples of double rigging heavy limbs/branches can also be viewed in thread: http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/video-forum/8947-beech-rigging-video.html

Undoing a wrap is pretty straight forward so long as you don’t rush anything. Each bollard has 2 shafts driven straight through to keep the rope aligned, so its not a closed system.

How and where are you storing the sheer volume of footage you are gathering? Your helmet cam footage must pile up by the end of the day. Who manages your cameras on the ground? Do these cameras film constantly? Are you editing the videos yourself? (Good clean edits), what are you editing the videos in?

I just leave the footage on the SD cards and put them in the draw. Yes I have lots of stuff archived that might never get looked at again, I only get inspired to put something on the net now and then….much of it all looks the same you see. I edit the videos on Windows Movie Maker. I know a couple of guys who sometimes work the ground camera’s and of course they are tree workers also. Other times such as the case with this poplar-vid I’ll just ask someone to press record and leave it running for a particular shot. Thanks again

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiqK8z_4GyM]YouTube - Video for Angus[/ame]

we have joined both the lines together via a prussic and then linked the prussic to an additional single line….so instead of having a rope in either hand, the ground-worker works both via the attached single line. See the example video attached. Notice the prussic in the right hand corner of the screen at 17 seconds.

Nice solution.