Subsidence

DanBB

Hi, I need some advice. We are about to buy a house, but unfortunately our survey came back with Subsidence because of the big trees in front as well as behind the house. There are at least 10-15 Conifer, Fir trees in the close proximity of the property. The distance varies between 3-4 to 10 meters away in a horseshoe shape in front of the property and few on the back.

We had a look on google earth, and accidentally came across the aerial photos of the garden, and there were two more massive trees in the front garden, which were previously cut down .

Now I feel the owners are hiding something and we are buying a problem !! There are already cracking walls under all front windows. We are just waiting for the Structural engineer and the Arborists report.

We love the house but I am worried about future problems not just because of the trees but expensive insurance etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I need some advice. We are about to buy a house, but unfortunately our survey came back with Subsidence because of the big trees in front as well as behind the house. There are at least 10-15 Conifer, Fir trees in the close proximity of the property. The distance varies between 3-4 to 10 meters away in a horseshoe shape in front of the property and few on the back.

We had a look on google earth, and accidentally came across the aerial photos of the garden, and there were two more massive trees in the front garden, which were previously cut down .

Now I feel the owners are hiding something and we are buying a problem !! There are already cracking walls under all front windows. We are just waiting for the Structural engineer and the Arborists report.

We love the house but I am worried about future problems not just because of the trees but expensive insurance etc.

This

waiting for the Structural engineer and the Arborists report.

Anything else is speculation

Hi

Damage to foundations by trees can usually be easily put right but it does take time may be one or two years.

There are a lot of factors involved the plasticity index rating of the material which the foundations are built on, the species of tree and there water intake and the foundation type.

The projects which I have worked on involving tree damage all had there challenges. One involved a property which was built on a raft founded on a clay subsoil. There were 2 large oaks and a chestnut on the property which were removed but the worst elevation affected the trees were on an adjoining property so a root barrier was installed this involved excavating a trench close to the boundary line going 1m deeper than any roots found we were 18 foot down the trench was then filled with concrete to within 50mm of the ground level. The engineer supervising the job monitored the cracks for 3 years at which he was happy that the property had stopped moving season to season we then went in and patched the cracked bricks and made good the cracked plaster.

Your problems could be getting it past the mortgage surveyor if your a cash buyer? then I would take the advice of a practical and sensible structural engineer as to a scheme of works to put the damage right. They do go back but I would be getting a vast reduction in price from the vendors if you do go ahead. I f you want anymore advice please ask. Good luck

5976705cc7b31_GetAttachment1.jpg.491d63b961a13d186f71735f50bb52a1.jpg

hi, i need some advice. We are about to buy a house, but unfortunately our survey came back with subsidence because of the big trees in front as well as behind the house. There are at least 10-15 conifer, fir trees in the close proximity of the property. The distance varies between 3-4 to 10 meters away in a horseshoe shape in front of the property and few on the back.

Now i feel the owners are hiding something and we are buying a problem !! There are already cracking walls under all front windows. We are just waiting for the structural engineer and the arborists report.

We love the house but i am worried about future problems not just because of the trees but expensive insurance etc.

Can anyone identify these trees? Edited by DanBB
put picture on

I would hirer an independent house inspector and share any and all concerns you may have in advance. Wait until you have his or her report in hand before you make the single largest investment in your life. If the owners or realitor shows any resistance to a house inspector

forget the house and find another home to call home.

easy-lift guy

Hi

Damage to foundations by trees can usually be easily put right but it does take time may be one or two years.

There are a lot of factors involved the plasticity index rating of the material which the foundations are built on, the species of tree and there water intake and the foundation type.

The projects which I have worked on involving tree damage all had there challenges. One involved a property which was built on a raft founded on a clay subsoil. There were 2 large oaks and a chestnut on the property which were removed but the worst elevation affected the trees were on an adjoining property so a root barrier was installed this involved excavating a trench close to the boundary line going 1m deeper than any roots found we were 18 foot down the trench was then filled with concrete to within 50mm of the ground level. The engineer supervising the job monitored the cracks for 3 years at which he was happy that the property had stopped moving season to season we then went in and patched the cracked bricks and made good the cracked plaster.

Your problems could be getting it past the mortgage surveyor if your a cash buyer? then I would take the advice of a practical and sensible structural engineer as to a scheme of works to put the damage right. They do go back but I would be getting a vast reduction in price from the vendors if you do go ahead. I f you want anymore advice please ask. Good luck

Good post, but if there are severe soil moisture deficits it may take a lot more than a couple of years before soils return to normal capacity. Giles Biddles book has an example of a property moving, IIRC, 30yrs after tree removal.

A question for the original poster, can you be specific on how the survey has identified subsidence. (This is just my personal curiosity). I thought the sellers report had to identify issues like this and any history of remedial work/insurance claims etc.

Subsidence investigations are normally quite lengthy, due to recording seasonal changes with level or crack monitoring. Out of interest what part of the country do you live in?

We have had one client, purchasing a property, whose surveyor claimed that the house was at risk of subsidence. My investigations revealed the local geography was millstone grit with no evidence of subsidence at all locally - so all may not be as bad as it appears. Good luck.