How much to pay ?

Stefan Palokangas

Despite that there is always threads on what to pay. Surprised this hasn't had a result yet. It would've helped if the title was more specific. For example.

"Stump grinder operator rates"

I have never operate one so don't know, but applying my own machinery experience imagine it works like this.

Start at a reasonable rate not minimum wage. Give incentive, which I would give this some thought. You do not want someone rushing to get home on pay. They need to be encouraged to be efficient, safe and keep damages to a minimum.

If after a while it's going well, up their pay. Some bosses are greedy and when it's going well they just think just they deserve the extra income/profit.

It's a hard balance. In time both you and your employee will gain from an upgrade or replacement machine.

I would right down the pros and cons of incentives on strips of paper and prioritise delete as appropriate put them in order, only you know where your aiming to go.

From your previous posts you come across as an enthusiastic, hard working person with a pleasant go get attitude without being arrogant or abrasive. Hope it all works out. Don't risk running a machine with someone your not confident in using it.

Worst case scenario could be a nightmare!

Recently we had an big pay off at my work, and I didn't know if I was safe or not, so I mailed and phoned people every waken hour I had, I slept only 4 hours during this time. and got emails for every single golf course in Scotland, written down, every builder, every tree surgeon, every shed builder and so on. spent 300 pounds petrol money driving around in Ayrshire Scotland pricing jobs on a flyer from jobs I could see. And I have had an massive response from this.

I have been working everyday after my daytime job, and every day in the weekends, and I noticed I started to mix names up, so took a while to get all organized.

Managed to get quite a few estates to do.

I'm over the moon happy for sure, but I had that negative stress feeling the other day, when it get dark and I can't see. Perhaps lights should be an option for the machine.

So I can see I must get some working for me soon.

I was thinking about 10 pounds an hour.

And to be honest when I started out with this few years ago I thought to pay something like 150 a day, but the market does not support that kind of money.

Not if you are going to afford upgrading new machines.

I presume you have already thought of this, and in my opinion it differs how much you pay them MASSIVLEY, but, will you be providing them with a vehicle & trailer or do you expect them to use their own?

Hey we're using their own vehicle and trailer to transport his tools and remove waste etc they wouldn't be employed.