What does it take to lead a crew?

Grüße

I'm starting a new job in the next few days for a large company as lead climber with a view to soon becoming a crew leader. I've been climbing for roughly 18 months, I'm competent enough in my ability, but there is still a long way to go and sometimes I need help from guys with more experience when it comes to large or more technical trees(my new employer knows this, I haven't given him any bullshit).

I suppose my question is, what can I do to make that step and become a good crew leader? This will be the first time I've been in a leadership position and I'm finding it a little daunting. What do you think it takes to be a leader in this industry?

Thoughts and advice appreciated.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't try to make friends. Be friendly, but remember that you're there to do a job. It's easy to think things are great if everyone immediately likes you, but it's more important to earn respect.

Keep instructions clear and simple. I don't know what your crew are like, but if they're any good they should know what to do anyway. Oh, and telling experienced ground-crew how to do something (rather than what to do) never goes down well.

It all depends on your colleagues!

Most people are sound and just want to crack on, have no drama and just get through their day with a smile on their face.:001_smile:

Unfortunately you do get trouble makers who no matter is in charge of them will just want to be a pita! :thumbdown:

You will know this person in 10 seconds of meeting them!

This is when you need a good manager or boss above you, if this is the case address it immediately!

For all I know you may be that person and may love the power and make everyone else's life a misery:lol:

Don't think too much, just crack on and see what developes:thumbup1:

Communication goes a long way. Recognise and acknowledge your own limitations when climbing and seek the advise of those more experienced elements, you'll learn off them and most are pleased to share their knowledge. Bare in mind some people aren't like this though.

Don't ask anyone to do something you can't/don't want to and try to lead from the front. It's not an easy job, you're not one of the lads nor the boss. Try to be fair and understanding, a good lad might have a bad day cos a row with mrs, if you recognise a problem try to address quickly and quietly before it drags others down.

You can't be best mates but be approachable, you'll end up their friend and confessor, shoulder to cry on etc but when the goings tough good lads will accept your decisions and authority.

Lead the team but be part of it. Study people, some will do as little as possible when staff numbers are high- others lads will recognise it but will look to you to deal with it. If someone's flagging, swop task around for awhile but explain why- people are inheritantly fair

Good management makes jobs a joy, poor management leads to dissent.

Don't forget to praise and thank, if someone's done a good job, tell them publically, if there's criticism do it quietly. Appreciate what they do, I try to thank everyone every night for what they've done.

You'll be right and learn as you go on

Edited by Gary Prentice

Personally I think you need more experience before leading a team or an exceptional natural climber. IMO you need to be in a position to step in and carry out any task you ask the lads to do.

Reading the replies above has reminded me why I work for myself with minimul staff.

Good lucky:thumbup1:

Good advice above. Try to recall the attitude of great bosses and leaders you have worked under, and try to emulate. Don't get hung up on details, don't be a control freak, and use humour if criticism is called for. Best of luck.

If I could just add to hairy chest's (and a lot of previous good counsel), learn from both the good AND the less good leaders you have previously encountered.

There is much to emulate from the good, and possibly even more to be gained from recognition of the shortcomings of the poor. Learn from the mistakes of others!

Also, consistency is important.