Worth my time to extract alder

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the replys to be honest it's more the fetid bog part that scares me... reckon its a good 400 yards to anything that could be considered as solid ground so couldn't get a forwarder to it. i've got a iron horse that'll prob skid out about half a tonne a go but only at walking pace and i'll still have to build a bit of corduroy over several really wet bits (over the top of my chainsaw waders) reckon it'll take at least a week to get it out so don't know if the time it takes is worth the value of the timber

It's a tough call. I hate 'being beaten' by a site but I've found I need to trust my instincts - if you are concerned about it being boggy and the associated risks then you're probably right! I've talked myself into jobs only to wish I'd stayed well away two days in. Having a machine stuck for a few hours kills the profitability. Having it stuck several times and you're screwed!

Ring kiln sounds great. I'll help! Quite like hand splitting 18" alder, done quite a bit several years ago, did some standing in water, too. 60 tonnes, would only take a few weeks or so if 2 of us. Could leave it stacked for a few months, then get that kiln in! Even with my poor history with recovery, if we burn most to ashes we only have to carry 6 tonne across the bog. Beautiful. Then reap the profits as summer bbq season peaks. Piece of cake.

Ring kiln sounds great. I'll help! Quite like hand splitting 18" alder, done quite a bit several years ago, did some standing in water, too. 60 tonnes, would only take a few weeks or so if 2 of us. Could leave it stacked for a few months, then get that kiln in! Even with my poor history with recovery, if we burn most to ashes we only have to carry 6 tonne across the bog. Beautiful. Then reap the profits as summer bbq season peaks. Piece of cake.

Had a good day John?

How's your dads pants going to help :confused1::confused1:

it's like francis drake and the cloak over the puddle.... very effective

As for the charcoal idea i'll ask the site manager, i'm happy to get it all to the edge of the site reckon you could build something to stick the kiln on as there is at least 2inches of water over most of the site, i'm not lying when i say wet.... i'll put some pics up when i fall in tomorrow